PDA

View Full Version : Calling All Dog Lovers

kath
03-27-2003, 10:35 AM
Hey Opranauts -

Awhile back we had some great discussions about dogs and I realized there are LOTS of dog lovers here on this site. I need some help trying to ID a puppy - what breed(s) it might be, etc.

My husband rides a van pool to work and parks his truck at a truck stop during work hours - yesterday he worked an extra shift from 8am to about 12 midnight. Anyway - some time during the day some bastard put a puppy - a very small puppy, we're talking "weeks old" here (little teeth, can't eat dry food yet, wobbly) - in the bed of his pick-up and just left it. We have no idea how many hours the pup was there, his real age or breed. :(

I'm waiting for the vet to get in so we can get this little guy checked out, but until they call I was hoping some Opranauts might know the breed. I've been searching online all night and the closest combo I can come up with is black lab/pitbull mix. Then again - I have cats. lol What do I know?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

http://www.burtros.com/puppy01.jpg

Winetalk.com
03-27-2003, 10:39 AM
Kath,
this si only a matter of time before you puppy turns into this!

http://www.bolhuijo.com/fark/Pupee-orig.jpg

Peaches
03-27-2003, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by kath@Mar 27 2003, 11:43 AM
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

My professional opinion - it's a mutt :awinky:

You're probably close with the lab/pit mix.

He's cute as a button!! :bjump:

kath
03-27-2003, 10:45 AM
Serge - is that yours??? He is SO cute! :)

Peaches - I know...that little mug won me over 5 seconds after hubby brought him in the door. Can't wait to see the vet - I'm so worried he's not healthy - the kids have already grown attached.

They are calling him Black Jack - our cats are Jackpot, Lucky and Keno - lol

:)

Peaches
03-27-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by kath@Mar 27 2003, 11:53 AM
Peaches - I know...that little mug won me over 5 seconds after hubby brought him in the door.
Geeze, Kath - you fell for that "But he followed me home, Mom!" story? Kids never grow up :awinky:

Someone probably dumped a whole litter. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Forest
03-27-2003, 10:49 AM
it deff has pit in it

cute puppy. I have a long coat retreiver and 3 cats

Cats rule the house. They take NO SHIT from the dog

:okthumb:

kath
03-27-2003, 11:03 AM
Peaches - yeah I'm a sucker. Hubby knows just how to get to me - lol

I was wondering about the rest of the litter too. The little guy had a tiny doggie bed with him - he'd only peed in it maybe once and nothing in the truck - so we're hoping he wasn't outside very long. It was about 85 yesterday and about 73 at night when hub brought him home. He could have had a really long, hot day :(

Forest - my cats are just looking at him like "WTF is that???" lol Our big cat is a 20-lb. Maine Coon - but if this is a big doggie, those 20-lbs won't mean squat. lol

Forest
03-27-2003, 11:16 AM
kath

my kitten plays with codi (the dog) all the time

they actually play TAG. its really funny to watch

the big cats dont want anything to do with him

LOL

gigi
03-27-2003, 12:04 PM
Yup..I'd say lab/pit as well....either that or lab/somekindofterrier ....lol

I had 2 dogs exactly like that....both were lab/terrier crosses...I don't know what kind of terriers though....they grew up not all that big....maybe coming to my knee...

Labs can get big...but most TRUE pits are really quite small....Do his paws look rather big?

He's adorable regardless.... :inlove:

kath
03-27-2003, 02:46 PM
Back from the vet...

Vet agreed....Lab/Terrier Mix. The pup is 5-6 weeks old - looks VERY healthy. We got him started on his shots/treatments today and now he's napping on our daughter's lap. The vet said, "All he needs is lots of love and he will be a great family dog." :)

So.....I'm a Mommy! lol Still debating the name....but thank you EVERYONE for all the great advice here on the boards, via ICQ and in emails. Our community has such a big heart when it comes to stuff like this - ya'll rock!

PS...we even have puppy daycare lined up w/ family members for when we go out to Phoenix so he's all taken care of! :okthumb:

Forest
03-27-2003, 02:53 PM
woooohoooo

another homeless animal finds a home

wtg kath :okthumb:

all my kids are adopted from shelters

Evil Chris
03-27-2003, 03:27 PM
Kath... way to go!

The pup is adorable. Terrier/Lab would have been my guess as well.

LadyLaw
03-27-2003, 03:31 PM
Dear Kath:

Congrats on the new baby in the house....what a cutie. Somehow I always manage to get my dogs half grown, around 5 months old, so I haven't had a "baby" for over 20 years.

If your baby is part Pit Bull Terrier (which would be my guess from the photo) he should be very smart, loyal, healthy and sweet tempered. Pit Bulls have a total bad rap from the few that are abused and are mean, but overall more German Shepards bite people than Pit Bulls in this country.

Our dog (Sonia) is Amercian Staffordshire Terrier (a Pit Bull cousin) and she is the best dog. She is a bit worthless as a watchdog, but is beautiful, smart, well behaved, and loves people...especially men...she ADORES Serge, and has a total crush on MikeW as well. :)

Keep us posted with pics as your puppy grows up. It will be fun to see what he looks like in a few months.

Peaches
03-27-2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by LadyLaw@Mar 27 2003, 04:39 PM
and loves people...especially men...she ADORES Serge, and has a total crush on MikeW as well. :)
LOL! My Meggie's like that too - if there's a room filled with people, she will find one male to fall madly love with. Here's a picture of her playing "Tummy Rub Whore" with my SIL's father a few weeks ago (she has no shame............)

http://www.onlinebeach.com/meghenry02.jpg

Kath - glad to hear the pup's healthy, this was nothing but pure fate - he was sitting there waiting for hubby to drive by! Be sure and keep us updated with LOTS of pictures!!

kath
03-27-2003, 03:44 PM
Thanks guys - we're lucky to have him :)

Susanne! Long time no see sweetie - sounds like you are still just as happy as ever. It's about time - you SO deserve it. Sonia - what a cute name. We're still debating (kids are saying: Dodger, Bruno, Dale, Dipstick - lol) on a name, but we're having fun with it.

When will we see you @ a show next? Are you guys making it to Phoenix or do we have to wait until Hollywood/Internext?

Thanks again everyone - this has been a happy surprise! :yowsa:

Forest
03-27-2003, 03:49 PM
Sonia rocks!!!

great dog

Mutt
03-27-2003, 04:06 PM
congrats Kath! dogs are the best, they make better people than humans. of course they have the luxury of having no responsibilities or much stress in their lives so it's pretty easy to be happy all the time.

Winetalk.com
03-27-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by kath@Mar 27 2003, 02:54 PM
Back from the vet...

Vet agreed....Lab/Terrier Mix. The pup is 5-6 weeks old - looks VERY healthy. We got him started on his shots/treatments today and now he's napping on our daughter's lap. The vet said, "All he needs is lots of love and he will be a great family dog." :)

So.....I'm a Mommy! lol Still debating the name....but thank you EVERYONE for all the great advice here on the boards, via ICQ and in emails. Our community has such a big heart when it comes to stuff like this - ya'll rock!

PS...we even have puppy daycare lined up w/ family members for when we go out to Phoenix so he's all taken care of! :okthumb:
Kath,
name the dog...
Oprano
;-)))

Winetalk.com
03-27-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by LadyLaw@Mar 27 2003, 03:39 PM
She is a bit worthless as a watchdog,
...but we don't tell that to the house visitors
;-))

cj
03-27-2003, 04:38 PM
ok now i'm clucky!!! I want a puppy!!!

my dog will be 8 this year, and he's starting to mope about the house and be all boring and stuff. i've nicknamed him old fart, but he's still the cutest dog in the world ;-)

Kath, you are so lucky ... it looks like a really nice mix, and if he has pitbull in him or any kind of staffordshire bullterrier, he will keep that cute puppy face throughout his life ... people often ask me how old my dog is and can't believe he's 8 because of his puppy face. this means your new pet will have you wrapped around his finger for the rest of his life ;-)))

MistressLuna
03-27-2003, 06:40 PM
:agrin:

awwww how cute
this puppy looks like a
pitbull lab mix to me
hmmmm

kath
03-27-2003, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by cj@Mar 27 2003, 01:46 PM
Kath, you are so lucky ... it looks like a really nice mix, and if he has pitbull in him or any kind of staffordshire bullterrier, he will keep that cute puppy face throughout his life ... people often ask me how old my dog is and can't believe he's 8 because of his puppy face. this means your new pet will have you wrapped around his finger for the rest of his life ;-)))
CJ - Just what I need...something else to have me wrapped besides the hubby and the kids - lol But that's cool - it's always sad when they lose that puppy look.

Serge....nice idea.....although I'm not as brave to battle the HBO Mafia and America's talk show sweetheart - lol Don't need any "doggie-style" C&D's! lol :zoinks:

The kids decided on Dodger - they say for the baseball team, but I'm thinking that it's quite fitting since this little darling dodged quite a bullet last night and got put into the right truck bed. :okthumb:

And...he'll live happily ever after!
:D

CDSmith
03-27-2003, 08:09 PM
Kath --- very cute puppy there. Awesome, and whomever the "bastard" was that left him in the truck like that, all I have to say is two things.....

1) Fate couldn't have picked better people to have that dog given to,

2) May fate also catch up with whomever abandoned the puppy and even the score.

Here's my guy Sully......

http://members.shaw.ca/billy1-99/pics/sully_2002_03.jpg

cj
03-27-2003, 10:23 PM
CD Smith, what kind of dog is that?
he has an amazing coat

very cute ;-)

cj
03-27-2003, 10:23 PM
CD Smith, what kind of dog is that?
he has an amazing coat

very cute ;-)

Susan
03-28-2003, 12:33 AM
hey Kath!

Congrats on your new bundle of joy! He's adorable!!
His coloring reminds me a little of a Boston Terrier.

Whatever he is, he's a lucky little one and I'm sure you,
Burt and the kids will spoil him :P

Carrie
03-28-2003, 04:21 AM
Oh he is SOOOO cute!!!
When I was a little kid I had a dog that looked exactly like that, she was a terrier mix.
Most loyal and PATIENT little thing, loved to play and put up with me dressing her in doll dresses all the time.
I picked her out the day she was born and held her as she passed away about ten years later.

You've got a great little buddy there - enjoy him!!
(Btw, I would've voted for Blackjack! Great name!)