PDA

View Full Version : Casualties of War

Naughty
03-26-2003, 05:16 PM
I must admit, this is about the first time I really follow what is happening the whole time, last Gulf war I was too busy partying. It also helps that we're not really involved in most wars, except for the War in Yugoslavia.

When I read about all those soldiers and civilians dying, it breaks my heart. All I think about is the Vietnam war though, how bad was that war actually. Can we compare a war like this one with the Vietnam war, be it only 7 days so far). How ugly was that war really? Is it overstated by our parents who grew up in the 50s-60s, or was it really a lot worse than todays wars?

Mike AI
03-26-2003, 05:25 PM
Naughty, Allied casualties - KIA and POWs are still very small. While each one is important to us, statisticly they are nil. The anti-war people are trying to pump it up, trying to compaire to Vietnam, and things.

Reality is more people died at a heavy metal concert in New Hampshire fire from pyrotecnics then we have lost in a week of war.

Just a Reality check.

I pray for no more deaths, or injuries especially on the US, British, Aussie, Polish, and other allied troops....

We will lose more, but the best way to honor them, and cut down on future deaths is to win this war as soon as possible, and as complete as possible.

Mike AI
03-26-2003, 05:29 PM
"War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

-- John Stuart Mill

Almighty Colin
03-26-2003, 06:08 PM
I can't think of any ground war in history that was so easy after a week on one side. Germany v. Poland in WW II was considered am incredibly lopsided victory and 10,000 Germans died to win in a war that took about a month. As far as the coalition side, this is historic. And Jesus, when did an "invading" army ever bring humanitarian supplies with them? Pretty crazy. Should/could get worse. We'll see.

Much different on the other side though. I bet the death totals for Iraq soldiers are near what Americans lost in the entire Vietnam War (guess?). In Gulf War I, Republican Guards and regular armies were bombed until about 1/2 equipment intact.

Civilian casualties mind-numbingly low so far.

As far as Viet Nam, I think 50,000 US soldiers died out of 8 million deployed. From memory. Could be off a little. I don't know any of the other numbers.