Forest
03-22-2003, 10:15 AM
what do you all think?

Sharing a families mourning with the world via TV

or working for rateings?

Last edited by Forest at Mar 22 2003, 07:24 AM

RawAlex
03-22-2003, 10:52 AM
It is really sad. Let them mourn, let them be. It is a really cheap attempt to pull heartstrings... and to fill airtime. Problem is there is a lack of things to report on, and CNN is trying to go 24 hours on it, and they are having to reach.

Those families will regret doing this later, I think.

Alex

Peaches
03-22-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by RawAlex@Mar 22 2003, 12:00 PM
Those families will regret doing this later, I think.

Alex
I agree :(

Rox
03-22-2003, 11:26 AM
I heard the mother of one of the helicopter pilots yesterday, and I was glad when she told the interviewer that although technology is a great thing, they need to realize that there are parents, spouses and others who love all those military personnel that can't tear themselves away and are in a constant state of emotional turmoil wondering, "Is my boy/girl one of those casualties?"

My heart just breaks every time I see or hear those family members who have lost someone in battle. And though I know for certain that the media's concerned with the story and nothing else, I also know that there are bound to be some survivors who will WANT to be interviewed, perhaps as a part of their grieving process, as it gives them a chance not only to eulogize their lost loved one, but as a way to reach out to all the other survivors and share their loss too.

If people want to be left alone they should be; if they feel a need to go public with their grief, I have no problem with the media bringing it to a wide audience as long as they do it in a sensitive and respectful way. I think it serves to show that our warriors are human beings, and not just faceless "troops." Every one we lose deserves to be honored and mourned not only by those who knew him/her personally, but by those whose way of life s/he died defending.

Forest
03-22-2003, 11:33 AM
One of the guys Father was "interviewed" yesterday

He was holding a wallet size pic of his son and yelling at Pres. Bush

"This was my only son. He is dead because of you Bush..."

then he was on the Today show this am with katie and he was just verry sad, and respectful, and shared good memories about his son, along with the guys sister and his 10 year old son

verry sad

Rox
03-22-2003, 11:38 AM
Yep, Forest... if the media insists on participating in the grief of people, it should be no surprise to anyone that anger is going to be one of the first emotions they're likely to exhibit. It's just part of the process.

Mike AI
03-22-2003, 11:41 AM
Definately sensationalism, looking for ratings.... very sad to watch networks take advantage of peoples grief for ratings.

Rox
03-22-2003, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Mike AI@Mar 22 2003, 08:49 AM
Definately sensationalism, looking for ratings.... very sad to watch networks take advantage of peoples grief for ratings.
True, but when have they NOT?

originalheather
03-22-2003, 11:46 AM
Seems to me that it's actually because of Sadam.

Vick
03-22-2003, 11:58 AM
Beyond a reasonable doubt this practice is responsible for generating so many negative feeling and creating problems

I'll go out on a limb here and point out a negative behind it in a simplification

Someone sees this on screen and all they can feel is the families grief and rage, - the emotion is so strong they then become a militant anti-war protester because they feel no one else should go thorough that grief

But they fail to see the other side where so many are being saved in Iraq

War is Hell - but at times a necessary evil

May all the fighting forces be protected and blessed as their Gods see fit