PDA

View Full Version : Personal fear level difference

Peaches
03-20-2003, 01:16 PM
I was remembering back to the Gulf war: I was working at the airport (we had the LD service for the payphones down there) and our switch was in downtown Atlanta (in the building where NatNet is now). I went downtown every day, spent a few hours there, and then headed to the airport. The only change at the airport was that just ticketed passengers and airport workers were allowed past security. We watched the war on CNN from the switch and the airport and were never worried about it physically affecting us.

Just a minute ago, we heard a big "boom" and the kid and I looked at each other and said "Sure hope that was thunder!". Back during the Gulf war, something happening on our soil wouldn't have entered our minds.

Amazing what one day, 9/11, changed. :(

Shok
03-20-2003, 01:36 PM
I am totally afraid..............that "Friends" will get canceled tonight for war coverage

Shok
03-20-2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Peaches@Mar 20 2003, 10:24 AM

Just a minute ago, we heard a big "boom" and the kid and I looked at each other and said "Sure hope that was thunder!"
Sorry...all that damn cheese I ate last night :(

Peaches
03-20-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Shok+Mar 20 2003, 02:51 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Shok @ Mar 20 2003, 02:51 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Peaches@Mar 20 2003, 10:24 AM

Just a minute ago, we heard a big "boom" and the kid and I looked at each other and said "Sure hope that was thunder!"
Sorry...all that damn cheese I ate last night :([/b][/quote]
Well, at least this time it was just cheese. The last time you ate cheese AND bean dip, the pictures were knocked off my walls :(

Shok
03-20-2003, 01:46 PM
don't forget the peeling paint :rokk:

Peaches
03-20-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Shok@Mar 20 2003, 02:54 PM
don't forget the peeling paint :rokk:
Why do you think I've been postponing my painting project? :zoinks:

LeeNoga
03-20-2003, 02:09 PM
Ya know, so many talk of fear, but folks should just go out and live their lives and not live glued to CNN.

When its your time, its your time, until then keep sinning :-)

Amen.

:-)

sextoyking
03-20-2003, 02:11 PM
Peaches,

I think it's a little more serious this time. Not the war per say, but potential terrorist attacks that could follow.

we are def. living in a tough time. :angry:

TheEnforcer
03-20-2003, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by LeeNoga@Mar 20 2003, 02:17 PM

Amen.

ROFLMAO!!

:okthumb:

Peaches
03-20-2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by LeeNoga@Mar 20 2003, 03:17 PM

Amen.

I'm not worried about myself as much as I'm worried about others. I have friends and family that are in potential "hotspots" throughout the US that I'm concerned about. Yes, when it's "their time, it's their time" but it doesn't keep me from worrying about them and those they'd leave behind :( Before, I never worried about anyone unless they were in the military.

added: I'm just pointing out that all this time, until 9/11, I literally never thought anything would ever happen here, and now I realize it's a very real possibility. But I'll probably still sin :awinky:

Last edited by Peaches at Mar 20 2003, 03:37 PM

ulfie
03-20-2003, 03:00 PM
For all your sakes I hope terrorists strike me. I volunteer to be your martyr. They could unleash whatever they want here and take out me, 50 deer, some wild turkeys, rabbits, and squirrels. Am I worried? Not. If I lived a major city, yeah, I would be a bit more worried but I still wouldn't let it change how I live my life. If we give in to them, they win. I'll continue going to sporting events, travelling, etc. No way I'm going to live in fear.

kath
03-20-2003, 03:03 PM
Peaches - I'm with you on this one. It's other people that I care about that I think about the most during times like this.

We are NOT staying glued to CNN 24/7 - I've seen what that kind of behavior can do to people. Having 2 kids in the house all the time we're watching about a 1/2 hour of coverage every once in awhile and then shutting the damned box off completely. Occassionally I'm checking on CNN.com to make sure we didn't miss anything - but only for a couple minutes - then it's back to work.

Kids worry enough about war and everything going on in the world - no reason for them to catch on to the media hype and pull an all-nighter in front of the TV. :unsure:

Peaches
03-20-2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by kath@Mar 20 2003, 04:11 PM
Peaches - I'm with you on this one. It's other people that I care about that I think about the most during times like this.
Yeah, having good friends/family in Atlanta that work at the CDC, the busiest Airport, CNN, etc. doesn't make me nervous per se, but I'd rather they all just bring a sleeping bag and crash at my place for a bit. Maybe I should throw a "War Party"! :cdance:

For all your sakes I hope terrorists strike me. I volunteer to be your martyr.

Will do - email me a map and I'll pin it on the door with "Gone Fishin' - Please proceed to Ulfie's house for raping and pillaging" :)

They could unleash whatever they want here and take out me, 50 deer, some wild turkeys, rabbits, and squirrels.

Me too, but I also have the secret service guys. The Crown Vics and Suburbans with the tinted windows kinda stick out in the land of beat up pickup trucks, lol! I figure I'm either in a very, very dangerous or very, very safe place :okthumb:

LeeNoga
03-20-2003, 04:33 PM
I agree with ya Kath, and I agree with you Peaches.

But I much rather say you have "concerns" about loved ones in potential hot spots vs. hearing you have "worries".

To worry is to give validity to what will become a passenger in the little red wagon we all pull behind us.

I am not saying my words pertain to you Peaches, I am just saying, in these times, don't change how you live your life, don't sacrifice what has not been taken from you.

We have enough casualites about to come from both sides.

For the people on the sidelines, it would be tragic to make ourselves a casualty of war thru these 24/7 CNN addictions and inability to allow ourselves to do nothing but that.

The war has started, we have concerns, but live your life to the fullest.

Ya know its always something....

If its not finances robbing us, health issues, disasters or war, when would we reflect on what is truly important to us.

The time to reflect is now, and do those things that make you happy.

Its not going to change the number of threats coming our way, or reduce the number of casualties.

But it gives us a reason to get up the next day and root for the troops.

sarah_webinc
03-20-2003, 04:44 PM
hard to compare really because I was in 8th grade the last time. I was one of those kids that was really interested in the news so I spent all lunch hour watching CNN. However, in reality I was living in the middle of the woods in PA.

Now, I am 26 and living in London...different world all together. I am using the lube less these days even though I am not making a point of it. It just sinks in your head that of all the places that could be a target this is one of them.

sarettah
03-20-2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by LeeNoga@Mar 20 2003, 02:17 PM
Ya know, so many talk of fear, but folks should just go out and live their lives and not live glued to CNN.

Amen.

Is that what they're teaching in the convents these days ???
:yowsa:

Peaches
03-20-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by sarah_webinc@Mar 20 2003, 05:52 PM
I am using the lube less these days even though I am not making a point of it.
Freudian slip? :biglaugh:

sarah_webinc
03-20-2003, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Peaches+Mar 20 2003, 02:04 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Peaches @ Mar 20 2003, 02:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--sarah_webinc@Mar 20 2003, 05:52 PM
Freudian slip? :biglaugh:[/b][/quote]
oh dear, how deep can one blush.

Tube, i meant tube.

LeeNoga
03-20-2003, 05:37 PM
Is that what they're teaching in the convents these days ???
:yowsa:

Who is in a convent? Not me.

:awinky:

Last edited by LeeNoga at Mar 20 2003, 02:47 PM

kath
03-20-2003, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by sarah_webinc+Mar 20 2003, 02:37 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (sarah_webinc @ Mar 20 2003, 02:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Originally posted by -Peaches@Mar 20 2003, 02:04 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--sarah_webinc@Mar 20 2003, 05:52 PM
Freudian slip? :biglaugh:
oh dear, how deep can one blush.

Tube, i meant tube.[/b][/quote]
I just caught that - lol :yowsa:

Just what we needed...a little levity - thanks Sarah :)

I bet it's totally different for you being in London than the rest of us here in North America. We're "right there with them" via CNN but are still very, very far away. You're a hell of a lot closer.

How is your coverage there? Much different from what we see here on CNN.com and other mainstream US-based media? I admit I've been enjoying checking out other Internationally-based news sites and comparing our reports to theirs. I know you have to take it all together and sort the truth from the bullshit, but being @ war in this Internet-information age is definitely adding new twists to things, at least on the homefront.