PDA

View Full Version : Mutant Virus in US, too?

originalheather
03-19-2003, 04:24 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/03/19/myste...irus/index.html (http://www.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/03/19/mystery.disease.virus/index.html)

So far 14 people have been killed by the virus, dubbed Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS), and more than 500 have been infected.

The WHO raised the alarm over the weekend, issuing a rare global alert over the disease but stopping short of advising people against traveling.

In their first global warning in 10 years, the WHO said they were worried about the "atypical" nature of the pneumonia, which appeared resistant to antiviral drugs and antibiotics.

Ick!

Peaches
03-19-2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by originalheather@Mar 19 2003, 05:32 PM
So far 14 people have been killed by the virus, dubbed Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS), and more than 500 have been infected.
14 People were probably killed on the interstate last week just in California - if you're going stay inside because of the statistics of something killing you, then at least use something with higher statistics of killing you :awinky:

TheEnforcer
03-19-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by originalheather@Mar 19 2003, 04:32 PM
In their first global warning in 10 years, the WHO said they were worried about the "atypical" nature of the pneumonia, which appeared resistant to antiviral drugs and antibiotics.

It's THAT part that concerns me. We are gonna be seeing MORE AND MORE viruses like this and the only people we have to blame is ourselves because of the way we use anti-biotics!! :angry:

kath
03-19-2003, 06:31 PM
Very true....the last couple of doctor's offices we've gone to I couldn't find a single doctor who would do a throat culture for strep throat - the just kept insisting the kids had it and gave them an anti-biotic. I never filled the prescription unless they had that "strep breath" or that puss on the tonsils - we are SO over-medicated as a country, it's ridiculous.

Are they this careless in the rest of the world? :blink:

Trev
03-20-2003, 04:24 AM
Originally posted by kath@Mar 19 2003, 11:39 PM
Are they this careless in the rest of the world? :blink:
I'm afraid so... :(