PDA

View Full Version : Montreal Early Bird Registration

Sharpie
03-19-2003, 01:04 PM
Registration is now available on the website http://www.cybernetexpo.com

Signup before April 1 and $AVE

(Still need someone for the workshops who is proficient in Flash or Photoshop)

:rokk: and yes "Ya snooze - ya loose!"

originalheather
03-19-2003, 01:20 PM
Any news on airline fares, Fay? The cheapest I've found so far from San Diego is almost 800 dollars. :(

kath
03-19-2003, 01:51 PM
Same here Heather - from Ontario Airport in CA...and it's like 10-1/2 hours of flying - no direct routes....it goes Ontario to Atlanta, Atlanta to St. Louis, St. Louis to Boston and Boston into Montreal....

No wonder those Canadians are cranky when they get down here for US conventions if the BS is always this thick.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr..... :grrr:

But I'm going dammit - just trying to find a shorter/cheaper way to get there. lol :okthumb:

originalheather
03-19-2003, 01:54 PM
Kath, the cheapest non-stop I've found is from Los Angeles, not tooo bad for you, but 3 1/2 hours for me. It's 620 bucks. Still pretty bad if you don't have a company paying your way. 620 for airfare, 100 for the show and 175 a night for a room?

I'd really like to go, but I can go to Miami in August for about 200 round trip.

Sharpie
03-19-2003, 02:28 PM
I will start looking out for the Airfares...... I think there are some sales coming up.

Make sure the airport search is for YUL The secondary airport is not the one you want. It is an hour from the Hotel. The last I checked the hotel rate conversion was $160.32 - that will fluctuate from time to time. And that does include some food served from 9am till noon in our private club room.

Everyone from the states - REMEMBER - You can get a lot of the taxes back from most things except food and drink. Pick up a form & save your receipts....

One thing to consider Heather on a comparision - once we get by the airline thing - My $169 room at the diplomat ended up costing around $200 with all the fees. A glass of house wine was $9.00 Let's not even talk about the food costs. I am glad we rented a car. I have found that South Florida and NY seem to have a different dollar than everywhere else :-( The US dollar goes a long way in Canada.

kath
03-19-2003, 02:53 PM
$620 is not too bad if it's non-stop - but geez...LAX SUCKS. Hmmmm...maybe I'll check out the Vegas fares and get in a little play time before I leave. hehehe

My company is paying my way - but I pay for my boy toy AKA hubby (oh he'll LOVE that *sarcasm*) to come with so I am checking for the cheapest rates.

Thanks for checking on the cheap rates Fay - I'd appreciate any kind of heads up. Was hoping I could get some mucho miles on my Delta account, but I'm just not seeing any non-stops and I really don't want to take a whole US airport tour right about now. lol

RawAlex
03-19-2003, 03:16 PM
Okay, some tips from a Montrealer who has to travel a fair bit...

first off, keep yourself to common air carriers - southwest don't make it to Montreal.

Delta, American, Northwest, United, Air Canada

Also, check your local travel agents for tour rates - pick airfare only. You will often find that there are 4-7 day rates on charters and direct flights.

Most direct route from LA is LA - Chicago - montreal (american, United) or LA - Detroit - Montreal (northwest, could also be minniapolis) - delta is okay if you go through cincinatti, don't go through atlanta unless you are saving big bucks, it just ain't worth it... from LA that would be like flying two sides of a triangle.

The airport code you are looking for is YUL - make sure you are pricing to that airport.

Look for flights out Monday, not Sunday... many more flights - and I suspect that you will pay less with an extra night of hotel then you will on airfare. Also, Montreal is still active on Sundays, so it isn't lost time!

I just checked expedia:

$414.20

8:00 AM Depart Los Angeles (LAX)
Arrive Montreal (YUL) 6:35 PM Wed 4-Jun
7hr 35mn American Airlines 34 / 4844
Connect in New York (JFK)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3:48 PM Depart Montreal (YUL)
Arrive Los Angeles (LAX) 8:04 PM Mon 9-Jun
7hr 16mn American Airlines 421 / 453
Connect in Chicago (ORD)

Most airlines on expedia in that same rate range... 415-460... same sort of rates for a sunday return as well...

Alex

Sharpie
03-20-2003, 08:46 AM
Thanks Alex, I know you travel a lot from there.

If you see any sales - please post them from time to time.

RawAlex
03-20-2003, 11:18 AM
I am keeping my eyes open. Anything under about $325 would be a pretty darn good fare, overall. By having the show over a weekend, you really do help make it easier for people to get the best fares possible (saturday stay over rules).

Montreal airport is fairly close to downtown, a taxi ride of about 20 minutes or so (about $20 US, if I remember correctly). The show hotel is very close to all the action, a very short walk from the Ste Catherine street shopping district and nightlife district. It's going to be fun to have the party people coming back to Montreal :-)

Alex

JFK
03-20-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by RawAlex@Mar 20 2003, 08:26 AM
I am keeping my eyes open. Anything under about $325 would be a pretty darn good fare, overall. By having the show over a weekend, you really do help make it easier for people to get the best fares possible (saturday stay over rules).

Montreal airport is fairly close to downtown, a taxi ride of about 20 minutes or so (about $20 US, if I remember correctly). The show hotel is very close to all the action, a very short walk from the Ste Catherine street shopping district and nightlife district. It's going to be fun to have the party people coming back to Montreal :-)

Alex
As Alex is saying the Hotel is Very close to all the action, Montreal is a great place, and your Us $ goes a lot further, Current rates are like 1.46 cdn for a US $1! Just Come on Down, you will be glad you did ! :rokk:

kath
03-20-2003, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the heads up Alex - I was going to say about $400 was my magic number and there you go. Will start digging some more on expedia today. We got a RT from Ontario (California) to Ft. Lauderdale last month for $250 - I was mighty pleased with that fare. :rokk:

Love the Montreal travel tips - all helpful hints are appreciated :)

RawAlex
03-20-2003, 05:33 PM
Montreal also has direct flights from many overseas locations as well, and hopefully some will make the trip over the pond to visit. Montreal is a fun place to be.

June is a great time of the year as well, can be quite warm during the day and very pleasant at night...

I know of a few plans out there for some interesting nights out, and honestly, Montreal at night is just a fun place to be. :-)

Alex

RawAlex
03-21-2003, 11:52 PM
You might also want to check the northwest airlines website directly http://www.nwa.com - they sometimes have very good rates into montreal (they have 4 or 5 flights a day)

Alex

kath
03-22-2003, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the NWA info Alex - I found $448 RT from Ontario with just one stop in Minneapolis (beats Delta's ONT - Atlannta - St. Lous - Boston - Montreal schedule) and it's about 7 hours 42 minutes instead of 10+ hours one way.

Also....for any So. Californians....we usually fly out of Ontario because Palm Springs is too expensive (try an extra $200 per ticket) and LAX is....well, anyone who has flown LAX knows what a pain in the ass it is. BUT...for those who don't mind a little side trip to Vegas they have tickets there starting at $364 RT (same deal to Minneapolis and on into Montreal straight). Save a little money....spend a couple hours in Vegas...talk about your win-win situations! ;)

Thanks for all the tips guys - this really helps. :rokk:

originalheather
03-22-2003, 10:15 AM
Hey Alex, thanks for looking up those fares. They weren't there the other day when I was on Expedia, but that's typical, the fares change constantly. I'll go back and take another look.

Guess I'll move in with Kath before the show so I can fly out of Ontario <eg>. :P

EDIT: To all SD webmasters..Expedia now has a 425.00 fare from San Diego round trip. The flight times aren't bad either. Leaving the 4th and returning the 8th. It's 10 dollars cheaper to come back on Monday, but I don't think Alex is going to let us all stay at his place :P, so I'm going to fly back on Sunday..

Great! The fares have dropped a bunch! I wonder if I wait another few days if they'll drop even more, lol.

EDIT #2: Now I'm finding the shortest flights on NWA's website. The fares seem to be about the same, 392 plus tax should end up being around 425.

Last edited by originalheather at Mar 22 2003, 07:36 AM

Mike AI
03-22-2003, 11:26 AM
I was not planning on heading to Montreal for the show. However, I know there are a lot of models to do video up there, so if I can line up some photo/video shoots I might be able to justify it.

Does anyone have access, or know of Modeling/Talent Agencies in the Montreal area? I would like to be able to line some things up.

You can post here or e-mail me - michael at oprano.com

RawAlex
03-22-2003, 03:21 PM
Mike, these guys were at our show last year:

http://www.lesgirlsproductions.com/

There are a few others... I don't shoot much in Montreal, mostly in Toronto right now (easier to find asian girls).... :-)

Alex

JFK
03-22-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Mike AI@Mar 22 2003, 08:34 AM
I was not planning on heading to Montreal for the show. However, I know there are a lot of models to do video up there, so if I can line up some photo/video shoots I might be able to justify it.

Does anyone have access, or know of Modeling/Talent Agencies in the Montreal area? I would like to be able to line some things up.

You can post here or e-mail me - michael at oprano.com
Hey Mike, try Vid Vicious icq 15594610 or Dugmor 514-841-2650 they should be able to line you up with something.

RawAlex
03-23-2003, 11:34 AM
Yup, Dugmor is a good guy to call... he is very much in touch with what's going on in Montreal...

Alex