PDA

View Full Version : Is this politcally correct?

Mike AI
03-17-2003, 10:59 PM
http://hirise.biz/funny/priceless2.jpg

Sword
03-17-2003, 11:05 PM
:blink: :blink:

Only thing I can think to say after seeing that, is I hope her family never sees it.

cj
03-17-2003, 11:13 PM
i can't believe how often we need to post other people's pain for our own entertainment.

that's pretty fucking sick

Rox
03-17-2003, 11:15 PM
Is this politcally correct?, Should we ban things like this?

No, and no. With an explanation...

That it would be offensive to many people goes without saying. But it's also undoubtedly protected speech, and the First Amendment trumps people's personal feelings.

However, if it were MY kid in those pictures, I'd also feel quite justified in calling my lawyer and seeing how I could best make sure the author felt the extent of a mother's wrath.

If there were no legal recourse, I'd make sure he got a little bloodied up his own self. :grrr:

Mike AI
03-17-2003, 11:18 PM
Well I will not post the other one then....

People dying is never a good thing, especially someone like this, who is really an innocent person. However you really should not get involved in a DMZ ( in essence a war zone) if it has nothing to do with you.... and if you do go, you fully expect what you get.

Maybe her family will instruct their other children to stay out of war zones, maybe they have to bring home Harold the Human Shield from Bagdad.

Sword
03-17-2003, 11:19 PM
By the way, I wanted to get a clarification. I am assuming that girl is dead, and it's the girl who died over there a few days ago, correct? Just wondering.

Mike AI
03-17-2003, 11:20 PM
Shit Rox, I better get it off my server then....

Though I do not think me having on my server, or the author would have many real legal issues.... You were right Rox, First Amendment would protect it.

Mike AI
03-17-2003, 11:22 PM
That would be correct Sword

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...ml&e=3&ncid=996 (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/030316/161/3j4jr.html&e=3&ncid=996)

International Solidarity Campaign to Protect the Palestinian People protest group is the name of her group. Sounds like a Communist front to me.

Rox
03-17-2003, 11:31 PM
Thanks, Mike :wnw:

People dying is never a good thing, especially someone like this, who is really an innocent person. However you really should not get involved in a DMZ ( in essence a war zone) if it has nothing to do with you.... and if you do go, you fully expect what you get.

I agree with you there. And in part that's why it IS important that pictures like these DO get around a bit. The method is tasteless, and shows no compassion whatsoever for the people who loved that person, but MAYBE it will make some people face reality and keep them from getting involved in things that will get them trouble or worse in places and situations they're unqualified to be in.

I remember when I was young and immortal... ideals are great, but they're not much defense against machines and weapons.

Mike AI
03-17-2003, 11:34 PM
We are on same page Rox.

She should not have even been there. Not everyone else in the world is as compasionate and care about human life as we do in the United States.

Peaches
03-17-2003, 11:38 PM
When I worked at the airport, we had a little SUV we drove on the tarmac. There was one traffic rule for driving on the tarmac: The planes always have the right of way. Period. When a bulldozer is bearing down on you, it's time to move, or if you're going to be a martyr, then expect your picture to be splashed everywhere.

Yes, the "Ad" with the wording is tacky, and not PC, but the pictures themselves tell a story that needs to be told - REAL protesting ain't just all about wearing ribbons, holding hands, making posters and marching around yelling slogans. And more importantly, when you decide to protest in a foreign country, if you play on their field, you play by their rules. :(

Rox
03-17-2003, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Mike AI@Mar 17 2003, 08:28 PM
Though I do not think me having on my server, or the author would have many real legal issues.... You were right Rox, First Amendment would protect it.
Double-edged sword, for sure. But I'm always glad it's there, even when I don't like some of the things that fall under its protection.

I make some people I know a little crazy when they bring something to my attention and I point out that as awful as it may seem to us, it's protected speech and therefore our outrage doesn't really count.

Rox
03-17-2003, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by Mike AI@Mar 17 2003, 08:42 PM
We are on same page Rox.

She should not have even been there. Not everyone else in the world is as compasionate and care about human life as we do in the United States.
No shit... and especially not in the Middle East! Most of them expect to die in some horrible fashion -- and even better if they're martyred.

I think I'd risk going to jail for false imprisonment and locking my kid in her room, or the basement, or wherever the hell... before I'd let her stick her nose in ANYTHING going on over there!

(Unless she were in the military, of course. But I have to admit I'd ALSO do my very damnedest to talk any child of mine out of going into the service).

Mutt
03-18-2003, 12:18 AM
i feel bad that a young woman threw away her life on a dispute i guarantee she can't possibly understand.
It also kinda sickens me that these little hippy kids born into relative luxury feel they can or should have any effect on people such as the Israelis and Palestinians who have suffered so much. Yeah, that's what the Israelis have been waiting for forever - for some wet behind the ears Joni Mitchell listening weed smoking kid from the American suburbs to show them the way to peace.

She would have been better off
as a do gooder helping out her local ASPCA animal shelter or working in a soup kitchen.

Mutt
03-18-2003, 12:42 AM
http://komo1000news.com/audio/kvi_aircheck_031003.mp3

Rox
03-18-2003, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by Mutt@Mar 17 2003, 09:50 PM
http://komo1000news.com/audio/kvi_aircheck_031003.mp3
:lol: "Nickelodeon Diplomacy" that was good, Mohammed!

originalheather
03-18-2003, 02:20 AM
I don't even know that it's not PC..it's sad, but as everyone else has been saying, it's protected speech. Personally, I think that the more kids that see that, the better.

That girl had no business being there and it's a commentary on the arrogance that we as American suffer from, thinking that they wouldn't run her over. The thing I don't get is, although she was obviously "of age", where were her parents when they (presumably) gave her the money to take this trip??

Ironic how there were no Palestinians there in the path of the bulldozer, how dumb was this girl??

Last edited by originalheather at Mar 17 2003, 11:30 PM

cj
03-18-2003, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by Mike AI@Mar 17 2003, 11:42 PM
Not everyone else in the world is as compasionate and care about human life as we do in the United States.
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHH AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAAAA

:rolleyes:

Trev
03-18-2003, 05:12 AM
I don't think this is a matter of being "politcally correct", I think it's a matter of taste.

The picture is in bad taste but the message however.......

Last edited by Trev at Mar 18 2003, 01:31 PM