PDA

View Full Version : If Clinton were president now

Ironhorse
03-17-2003, 01:35 PM
All the UN ambassadors would be getting blowjobs from the translators under the table instead of threatening vetos :moon:

Mike AI
03-17-2003, 02:11 PM
Ironhorse, I think you may be right - there could potentially be more support. Clinton is a great speaker, and could definately pursuade opinions.... of course he had 8 years to force Saddam to live up to his agreements, and to disarm. He did nothing but lob a few cruise missles when the whole Monica thing started putting heat on his administration.

That is probably the biggest thing most people dislike about Clinton, is that he had the ABILITY to be a Great President - but was selfish and only cared about himself, and those around him - personally enriching themselves and building up personal power.

Almighty Colin
03-17-2003, 02:19 PM
All presidents face the same problems. Clinton would be in NATO ignoring the Russian veto.

Mike AI
03-17-2003, 02:21 PM
Colin you are right, we would still have the French working against us, that is what the French do.

Almighty Colin
03-17-2003, 02:32 PM
Yeah, Mike. I have real admiration for Clinton's diplomatic abilities.

He still had to go NATO to get international cover for the Kosovo operations because the UN was an impossibility. His diplomatic skills didn't fail him. The situation did.

If Colin Powell couldn't get UN approval for this action, no one could. I do not believe Clinton could have. I don't think anyone in the past few decades was as good as George Bush Sr. was diplomaticaly (former ambassador to the UN) and I don't even think he could have pulled this off today either.

The UN security council is the defacto body you'd like to get support for such actions but it is not available most of the time as getting the 5 permanent members on the same side are pretty slim. When it is not one goes to another international body or creates cover under a "coalition of the willing".

Almighty Colin
03-17-2003, 02:35 PM
Although I think Clinton would have more world popular opinion (citizens) on his side than Bush does.

Ironhorse
03-17-2003, 03:35 PM
He's just such a natural bull-shitter, don't get me wrong I think things were pretty good with Clinton, but you can't ignore a natural diplomat..even now he's said things like 'I believe there is only one Commander in Chief' clearly avoiding taking a stong stance against Bush, even sounded supportive.

I look forward to the 60minutes segment with Dole, that should be good TV =)