PDA

View Full Version : celebs speak out

slavdogg
03-13-2003, 06:36 PM
The Other Half Speak
While well-known celebrity activists like Martin Sheen, Susan Sarandon, Danny Glover and Jessica Lange have already warned Americans of the potential horrors of war, there are still others in Hollywood who are clearly on the opposite side of the political fence.

Take action star Jean-Claude Van Damme for example. On the topic of celebrities speaking out against an all-out assault on Iraq, he told Globe magazine, "Some of those in Hollywood are part of the axis of ignorance!"

Singer Brian McKnight recently told MSNBC, "If we do go to war, I'm going to support whatever President Bush decides to do." And Pamela Anderson's other half, Kid Rock, didn't waste time mincing words by saying, "We got to kill that mother-[bleeper] Saddam. Slit his throat." Taking a far less visual stand than Mr. Rock, The West Wing's Rob Lowe recently told the Fox News Channel that Americans should support the military and that the best way to do that was to support President Bush.

But the grand poobah of Bush backers has to be Bruce Willis, whose latest film, Tears of The Sun, has him playing a loyal veteran officer of an elite Navy S.E.A.L unit. Bruce claims he even asked the President to dispatch him as a secret weapon to get Saddam Hussein. According to the star, he would've been the first in line if only the army would allow him. "I thought about signing up," Bruce said, who never really had the option, "but my friends told me I was too old. ... I called the White House, called President Bush and asked what I could do." Instead of getting his orders to deploy, the president tactfully suggested that the aging actor would be better off adopting some kids instead of leading the siege. The president has since tapped Bruce to serve as a national spokesperson for children in foster care.

Last edited by slavdogg at Mar 13 2003, 06:45 PM

Mike AI
03-13-2003, 06:56 PM
HAHA good post!!!

Bruce Willis needs to wake up.... he is only a major bad ass in the movies!! But glad he is supporting Bush!!

I like Kid Rock even more now!

:rokk:

originalheather
03-13-2003, 07:22 PM
Yeah, Bruce is ancient, he's even older than I am! :P He would only qualify to be a Captain Bad Ass LOL

But really, it was a nice gesture..they should have put him in some probably upcoming propaganda films.

Last edited by originalheather at Mar 13 2003, 04:31 PM

Bestat
03-14-2003, 09:40 AM
It is nice to see some of them making public their support. Rob Lowe said it best I think. We should support our military, it is their asses we lay on the line. My tech just got called up last night from the reserves, they are giving him 5 days to put his life on hold and join the troops in Kuwait. What they sacrafice to defend us is tremendous, and we should all be behind them if we go to war, no matter what we think of the political policy.

Ok, that is about as far as I go discussing politics on a board. :P

Almighty Colin
03-14-2003, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Bestat@Mar 14 2003, 09:48 AM
Ok, that is about as far as I go discussing politics on a board. :P
Careful, it's a slippery rope. ;-)

Mike AI
03-14-2003, 12:01 PM
A very slippery slope, it all part of the domino theory.... haha

:rokk:

DrGuile
03-14-2003, 12:38 PM
How to loose all credibility in an arguement:

Quote Jean-Claude Vandamne as agreeing with you.

Almighty Colin
03-14-2003, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by DrGuile@Mar 14 2003, 12:46 PM

Why did you single him out? Is there something about him that makes him less "credible" than other celebrities?

JR
03-14-2003, 12:54 PM
ahh yes... the usual misplaced interests and well timed compassion of Hollywood.

i guess they all support the current 13% infant mortality rate of Iraq.

war=bad
hundreds of thousands of dead babies=good

genocide and torture is peachy keen in the Hollywood elite? or am i missing something in the whole "horrors of war" argument?

RawAlex
03-14-2003, 01:26 PM
JR, the thing is, you present something that isn't an either / or choice. There are many ways to lower the infant death rate that don't involve war. It is the same sort of logic I have seen you apply before - if you are against my view, then you are obvious for "this outrageous thing". No, I suspect most of these people (probably all) are appalled by the number of children dying in ALL SORTS OF PLACES... including Iraq.

By your logic, war=save the kids

You do that by killing their parents? Destroying their homes? Eliminating the infrastructre of a country? I suspect without clean water and a way to get food to the people of the cities, that the infant death rate will go higher before it goes lower.

If torture and killing of your own countrymen was the only reason needed to go to war, the US would have a full time force wandering around Africa diposing dictators and tribal leaders left and right. What's the infant mortality rate there?

Sorry, your attempt to mock those who don't share your views by using non-related "facts" is the problem, that is why you are "missing something" - too much non-related information leads to misunderstanding.

Alex

DrGuile
03-14-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Colin+Mar 14 2003, 12:55 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Colin @ Mar 14 2003, 12:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--DrGuile@Mar 14 2003, 12:46 PM

Why did you single him out? Is there something about him that makes him less "credible" than other celebrities?[/b][/quote]
because he's an idiot....

a real moron.

SykkBoy
03-14-2003, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by DrGuile+Mar 14 2003, 01:52 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DrGuile @ Mar 14 2003, 01:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Originally posted by -Colin@Mar 14 2003, 12:55 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--DrGuile@Mar 14 2003, 12:46 PM

Why did you single him out? Is there something about him that makes him less "credible" than other celebrities?
because he's an idiot....

a real moron.[/b][/quote]
and he's a coke snorting, wife beating, uneducated....holy shit...he's an adult webmaster.........

TheEnforcer
03-14-2003, 01:54 PM
LOL

That's the second time I've seen you get a great zing on webmasters in the past 2 days Sykk!! :okthumb:

Mike AI
03-14-2003, 01:57 PM
Van Dame is not one I would normally want to asscoaite with - mostly due to his past issues - including some accusations of rape and such.

However, he does seem to be right on the IRaq issues... I guess even a blond squirrel rapist, finds a nut from time to time.

Fuck all celebrities.... <_< Who gives a shit what they think?

The worst ones are the ones who take themselves so seriously they presume that the American people will fall down and listen to them.... time for them the get out of the ivory towers!

Mike AI
03-14-2003, 01:58 PM
HAHA Missed the lined by Sykk!!

Classic!!

Pearl ?!?!?! :rokk:

sextoyking
03-14-2003, 02:01 PM
Good one Sykk, Perl!!!

TheEnforcer
03-14-2003, 02:17 PM
Pearl!! :okthumb:

DrGuile
03-14-2003, 02:32 PM
I will agree on one thing:

Fuck all celebs.

I value their opinion on politics as much as sykkboy's left nut....

SykkBoy
03-14-2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by DrGuile@Mar 14 2003, 02:40 PM
I will agree on one thing:

Fuck all celebs.

I value their opinion on politics as much as sykkboy's left nut....
um, my left nut is quite a bit these days.......
well, ok, not as much as the right one...but with me being ambidextrous....both get equal play......

sarettah
03-14-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Mike AI@Mar 14 2003, 02:05 PM

Shit, now I'm even agreeing with MikeAI.....

(Lowers his proud liberal head and wanders away shaking it slowly and muttering...we're all going to hell in a handbasket Martha.....)

:unsure:

XXXPhoto
03-14-2003, 08:01 PM
Robb Lowe likes the younger Bush.... now why isn't that a big surprise?

:rolleyes:

slavdogg
03-14-2003, 08:23 PM
i was surprised seeing Van Damme pro war, being that he's from Belgium.

JR
03-15-2003, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by RawAlex@Mar 14 2003, 10:34 AM
JR, the thing is, you present something that isn't an either / or choice. There are many ways to lower the infant death rate that don't involve war. It is the same sort of logic I have seen you apply before - if you are against my view, then you are obvious for "this outrageous thing". No, I suspect most of these people (probably all) are appalled by the number of children dying in ALL SORTS OF PLACES... including Iraq.

By your logic, war=save the kids

You do that by killing their parents? Destroying their homes? Eliminating the infrastructre of a country? I suspect without clean water and a way to get food to the people of the cities, that the infant death rate will go higher before it goes lower.

If torture and killing of your own countrymen was the only reason needed to go to war, the US would have a full time force wandering around Africa diposing dictators and tribal leaders left and right. What's the infant mortality rate there?

Sorry, your attempt to mock those who don't share your views by using non-related "facts" is the problem, that is why you are "missing something" - too much non-related information leads to misunderstanding.

Alex
Alex, dont be a sissy.

It IS a choice. its exactly that. a choice.

THE PROBLEM IS ONE MAN AND HIS GOVERNMENT. THE PROBLEMS IN IRAQ ARE BECAUSE OF HIM. IT IS EXACTLY AN "EITHER/OR CHOICE" as you put it. What do you propose as an alternative to modify the behavior of Saddam Hussein and his regime? sanctions? more sanctions? sending him flowers and wine? maybe he will have a change of heart with a new Chucky Cheese or McDonalds Playland in Bagdad?

These bozos in Hollywood do not give a shit about who is being tortured, crucified, mamed, bombed, shot, hacked apart or about any other attrocity happening anywhere, anytime. They are against war. Really? why?

To those in Hollywood that would ask "why Iraq, why now?"
i could also aske them "why do you care? why now?"

any reason they can cite for concern, i can show those exact concerns exist simultaneously, anytime in numerous places in the world as well as Iraq today... they are just not popular to speak about and its not good press. Few would care about Sean Penns opinion on the Ivory Coast... but take a stand on Iraq and you are defying a Republican administration and the President of the United States on all of these moral grounds which seem to be less important when it is just 2,000,000 Rowandans being butchered with machetes.

why do celebs speak out about war and about Iraq? simple. because their is a brief window of opportunity to put their face out there on a heated issue and get press. Its a brief window of opportunity for someone who spends there entire life pretending to be something they are not.. to become relevent.

i did not say that "war saves kids." I said that kids are dying all day everyday and that is not an issue with Hollywood. If a kid got killed accidentally by a bomb or bullet, its world news and we will certainly have to hear the opinions of the producers and stars of Friends.... yet, If 1,000,000 continue to die due to lack of medicine, malnutrition etc... to people like them and you, its just a statistic. a number. one more ugly wooden cross in the rocky desert. i would call that "misplaced compassion"

this is typical "compassion and sensitivity" speaking with a complete absence of logic. Genocide murder, starvation, torture and atonoshing infant mortality rates are favorable to removing his government? your remarks about destroying homes, infrastructure etc are assumptions. Everything else is real. the pain, suffering, death and destruction is real. It happens right now. Hussein has killed millions of his own people... but your problem is "but...but what if a bridge is bombed"

Your position and that of Hollywood has already been noted. Your presence is requested in Iraq to join those human shields that have not already fled Iraq in a bold admission that they were full of shit, spineless cowards, doing nothing more than trying to make a political statement in the form of a bluff. i am sure Iraq appreciated the strong principles, morals, show of support and compassion of those morons.

the fact is Alex, that you have to make the case that removing Saddam is going to be worse both in the short term and long term than just letting history repeat itself for the next 20-30 years and watching millions more suffer and die while living in complete and total terror. You and i both know you cant do that.

Last edited by JR at Mar 14 2003, 11:18 PM

Carrie
03-15-2003, 04:15 AM
There are plenty of babies dying every day in this country, and no one in Hollywood - left *or* right - seems to give a shit about that.
I haven't seen any celebrities standing up to speak out about partial birth abortion lately.
I haven't seen any celebrities doing freebie spots on tv telling single moms to give their babies to fire stations free and clear, no questions asked, rather than leaving them to die in dumpsters.
I see plenty of "stars" all too willing to increase their sex appeal by appearing in "I'd rather go naked than wear fur" ads to keep animals from being killed, but I haven't seen one of those bitches in an ad advocating adoption or better yet, condoms or abstinence.
Sean Penn will go stand up for a murdering sonofabitch but he won't stand up for the thousands of single moms and tell his fans to be real men and take care of their responsibilities instead of running off to be deadbeat dads.

Save the whales, save the seals, save the murdering dictator... but save the needy kids in our own country?
No, can't do that... it's not fashionable.

Fuck 'em all.

cj
03-15-2003, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by sarettah+Mar 14 2003, 04:36 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (sarettah @ Mar 14 2003, 04:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Mike AI@Mar 14 2003, 02:05 PM

Shit, now I'm even agreeing with MikeAI.....

(Lowers his proud liberal head and wanders away shaking it slowly and muttering...we're all going to hell in a handbasket Martha.....)

:unsure:[/b][/quote]
funny, this is just what i was thinking ;-)))

and i'm even on the same wing as mike!!!!

:P

JR
03-15-2003, 07:07 AM
i agree Carrie. fuck them all.

I personally dont think people should be using the fact that they play a great neurotic, schizophrenic, homesexual, interior designer neighbor on some Gen-X 30's something sitcom to make political statements... or exploit the fact that they have some shitty "heard it before", Brittney Spears copy of a song that we are trying desperately to purge from our heads like a big, throbing, fucking blood clot - to make a credible statement about world politics.

i dont oppose peoples support or opposition or voicing of opinions. i am however, almost always disgusted by Hollywood elites and stars denouncing something like an attack on Iraq for a wide array of moral reasons - namely the suffering and damage that war can cause... all while not acknowledging the EXISTING humanitarian disaster, death, disease, suffering, torture and genocidal actions of Saddam and his regime that has continued for more than 30 years.

its the burden of blind compassion i guess. simple reaction vs. response.

Celebs speaking out as they have been, is the worst form of opportunistic, parasitic and shameless behavior in my opinion. It's done as if playing a convincing herion addicted prostitute makes an actresses political statements more relevent than the average Joe. It now comes at the expense of millions who have already suffered and died... and those who will continue to suffer and die as the result of innaction. They offer no solutions. Just opposition at a time that is conveinent to their carreers. if someone was proposing a solution while expressing opposition, i would be more understanding and supportive.

"i am not a politician... but i play one at the Oscars"

RichC
03-15-2003, 07:08 AM
haha love the kidrock line :okthumb:

Torone
03-15-2003, 07:52 AM
I can't believe what i just read. Someone DID say that the celebrities should be fucked...I agree with that. That's all they're really good for. They're all idiots, good only for their entertainment value. Only one entertainer ever proved politically proficient (probably shouldn't have been one, in the first place); and we know who that was.

Think about it. Most of them don't know their ass from a hole in the ground about anything except what they do; and precious little even about that. After all, that's what writers, directors, producers, PR people, and so forth are for. They don't even really consider themselves American. They make so much of their income from overseas, they consider themselves above such things. As for Van Damme, he sounds French to me, so...

BTW, we just revoked the Texas citizenship of the Dixie Chicks. Radio stations all over the state have tossed their music into the round file. If they want to continue in music, they had better switch to rock...

Mike AI
03-15-2003, 11:11 AM
Sarettah, and CJ - I think we probably agree more then you guys would want to admit!! :D

Torone, I have been following the Dixie Chics fiasco - I think its great. Guess they did not realize people who listen to country music tend to be conservative, patriotic, and proud Americans.

Also the vast majority of people in Texas, LOVE BUSH.... I am glad they are getting slammed. Notice that many of these celebrities make their Anti-Bush comments when they are on foreign soil? That is what steams me the most - they are slamming the US, to foreigners to get applause and sympathy.... I promise you the Dixie Chics would hot have slammed Bush in the US!

Here is an article, they are apologizing and back peddling fast http://foxnews.com/story/0,2933,81177,00.html Which actually makes me dislike them even more - if you want to make a stand, stick by it!!!