PDA

View Full Version : Do dogs have ESP?

originalheather
03-13-2003, 02:38 PM
My father's dog goes with me morning and evening when I pick up and drop off my housekeeper. He never misses a chance for a ride in the car.

This morning he refused to go with me. I even took him by the collar, but he dug in and wouldn't get in the car.

On the way, a big dog ran out into the toll road. I swerved to miss him and my car did about 10 donuts over two lanes and the shoulder of the road. Both my left side tires came off the wheels.

I wasn't hurt and it was sheer luck that I didn't actually hit any of the concrete barriers. A construction crew is in the midst of putting more barriers in on the right side of the shoulder to prevent animals from getting onto the highway. They were waiting for the machine that pushes them together. I ended up skidding in between two of them.

The thing is, if the dog had been with me, he might have gone through the windshield, since he stands on the arm rest next to me while I drive. How the heck did the dog know? He hasn't missed a ride in months.

(Twighlight Zone Music Playing)...wild. :zoinks:

ulfie
03-13-2003, 02:55 PM
Ask your dog who's going to win the NCAA tourney this year. I want to make a little wager. :D

That is a pretty freaky story though.

originalheather
03-13-2003, 02:58 PM
He said, "wooo wooo wooo wooo wooo wooo woooooooo". He has a strange bark. Unfortunately, I don't speak Manchester Terrier :P

Peaches
03-13-2003, 02:59 PM
I think they do. They've done studies where dogs can predict seizures in their owners, as well as where they have alerted their owners to cancer.

Mine can alert me to where I keep their food :awinky:

Last edited by Peaches at Mar 13 2003, 04:07 PM

originalheather
03-13-2003, 03:05 PM
Actually, Peaches, you're right about that. A friend of a friend has epilepsy and has a dog that alerts her before a seizure. Supposedly he never misses. Amazing what animals can sense.

spanno
03-13-2003, 03:18 PM
pets know when you're high

originalheather
03-13-2003, 03:23 PM
then yours must be on constant alert, Daniel :P

Mike AI
03-13-2003, 03:31 PM
Dogs definately have some sense we do not understand.... I am amazed sometimes how my dogs know what I am thinking, or know something is not right....

Make me love dogs even more.....

Good story Heather!

VooMan
03-13-2003, 04:27 PM
No doubt dogs know a hell of a lot more than we ever give them credit for.

Glad you're okay Heather. :)