PDA

View Full Version : For Peaches...

ulfie
02-19-2003, 10:20 PM
Some pics of this weeks adventures in the snow....

http://www.wepayu.com/snow/

Peaches
02-19-2003, 10:50 PM
Thank you!! :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

How many inches all together. On HLN they said 6-8 FEET at 7 Springs!

You have a BIG PUG:

http://www.wepayu.com/snow/pages/102-0276_IMG_JPG.htm

Vooman's Mom has a few of those - one about the size of your Honda...

Thank you so much for the pictures - I'm emailing the URL to the kid now (yeah, I know - he's two stories away). :bjump: :bjump: :bjump:

ulfie
02-19-2003, 11:13 PM
Not sure what the total snowfall was. We had 40 inches the first day and probably got another 24 after that. It was over my head in places and I'm 6 foot tall so it was definately a big storm.

That big pug is my cousin's dog. It's an English mastiff and it weighs about 180 pounds. I was dog sitting this weekend. Pandora (yeah, that's her name) LOVED the snow. She's a city dog so she doesn't see much snow. I was shovelling snow and throwing it at her and she loved it. I like dogs more than most people. :)

VooMan
02-20-2003, 10:03 AM
Woo Hoo! English Mastiffs Rule!

:bdance: :bjump: :bdance: :bjump: :bdance: :bjump:

When I lived with my mother in Pennsylvania we had three Mastiffs and they LOVED the snow. Same thing here Ulfie... shovel a little, throw some at them, shovel a little, throw some at them... it was the time of their life (and mine). :D

I definitely agree that dogs are way cooler than most people. :rokk:

Andrew

kath
02-20-2003, 11:14 AM
Wow - great snow pics! :)

Hey, I know this is a snow thread but there is a dog discussion going on here too...we're finally thinking of getting a dog. Last year we were on the waiting list to get a white lab puppy but as the pup's due date got closer, the breeder kept upping the price. :grrr:

Anyway...I see the enthusiasm for pugs and mastiffs here, but was just wondering if anyone had any good recommendations for family dog breeds - ones that can take the heat (I live in the desert) and won't totally tear up our yard (we just bought a new house). lol Yeah I know - dream on - but I see a lot of dog lovers here, would just like some input if you want to share. :D

ShannonRush
02-20-2003, 11:35 AM
Kath,

I don't know what size dog you are looking for but I can highly reccomend a pappillion. (He's the black and white one) Mine is a teacup (2.3lb) but they come in a standard 6lb-9lb size. They are very loving and can be trained fairly quickly...as long as there is not a pure bred yorkie with the size of a pea showing them the ropes.

http://www.shannonrush.com/sparkydjay_1.JPG

Last edited by ShannonRush at Feb 20 2003, 08:44 AM

VooMan
02-20-2003, 11:48 AM
That's a tough one for me Kath... I am strictly a Mastiff guy.

(And they would definitely not fare well in the desert)

sharky
02-20-2003, 11:52 AM
hey Ulfie!

hit me up on icq or email!

:-)

TheEnforcer
02-20-2003, 11:54 AM
All I gotta say is BEAGLES RULE BABY!!

kath
02-20-2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by ShannonRush@Feb 20 2003, 08:43 AM
Kath,

I don't know what size dog you are looking for but I can highly reccomend a pappillion. (He's the black and white one) Mine is a teacup (2.3lb) but they come in a standard 6lb-9lb size. They are very loving and can be trained fairly quickly...as long as there is not a pure bred yorkie with the size of a pea showing them the ropes.

http://www.shannonrush.com/sparkydjay_1.JPG
Shannon - OMG how cute!!!! Those are adorable little babies! Thank you so much for sharing the pic - and the info! :)

TheEnforcer - I love beagles too. That little pup in Cats & Dogs just gets me every time. I think the kids keep playing the DVD because they know it's getting to me. lol

Thank you everyone for the advice - and thanks Peaches for the new dog thread. Hopefully we'll be out looking this weekend.

:bdance: :bjump: :bwave:

originalheather
02-20-2003, 02:03 PM
Kath..a Weimaraner..but ONLY ONE!

They don't do well with other dogs, but they're great with kids, very high energy, so they love to play with them.

I grew up with one, he was great, he was the biggest one I've ever seen (31 inches at the shoulder, top show size is 27"). My mistake was buying two within 3 months of each other. Jealousy issues. Both of mine are fine with dogs outside, but they don't care for them in their house. And it IS their house :P

They do well in the desert because their hair is so short. They're good as house dogs because, again, their hair is short and a neutral color, so it doesn't show on the carpet or tile and they don't shed much.

They're very loving and intelligent animals, but they're not throw rugs like Labs, so you have to have space for them to run and make sure they get plenty of exercise.

Little dogs sometimes can be too skittish around kids. I think a big lumbering dog is perfect for small children. They are also great for preventing crime...no one's coming into my house with these dogs here! I don't even lock my doors. LOL

Peaches
02-20-2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by originalheather@Feb 20 2003, 03:11 PM
Kath..a Weimaraner..but ONLY ONE!
Is yours still available? :) This could be a good match!!

originalheather
02-20-2003, 02:16 PM
Nahhh, Peaches. I told my dad to keep his dog away from my dog or move out :P

VooMan
02-20-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by originalheather@Feb 20 2003, 02:11 PM
I think a big lumbering dog is perfect for small children. They are also great for preventing crime...no one's coming into my house with these dogs here! I don't even lock my doors. LOL
Very true Heather...

A big dog is a pretty good security system. Hell, nobody ever rang our bell on Halloween. haha

And bigger dogs are definitely better with children. They seem to be aware of their size and very gentle with the little ones. My nephew is four years old and the dogs have never even bumped into him, let alone played too rough... Me on the other hand, I have gotten my ass kicked playing with them. All I need to do though is pin each of them for a minute or so and they know that I'm the alpha. ;)

I have always liked Weimaraners. There's a guy who has a web blog at http://www.textism.com. Down at the bottom on the right he's got the "Daily Oliver" picture... That is one funny dog. :)

originalheather
02-20-2003, 02:29 PM
OMG!! LOL...that look JUST like Ziggy..right down to the white blaze!

http://www.textism.com/oliver/daily/?d=393

Well, except that it's my dad's dog wearing the cone right now :P

Peaches
02-20-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by VooMan+Feb 20 2003, 03:28 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (VooMan @ Feb 20 2003, 03:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--originalheather@Feb 20 2003, 02:11 PM
I think a big lumbering dog is perfect for small children. They are also great for preventing crime...no one's coming into my house with these dogs here! I don't even lock my doors. LOL
Very true Heather...

A big dog is a pretty good security system. Hell, nobody ever rang our bell on Halloween. haha[/b][/quote]
Silly, silly, people! My 20 pound Meg can do more to stop crime than any large dog! She merely rolls over on her back for a belly rub and creates a barrier to anything. Burglar tries to move? Not a problem - Meg moves WITH burglar. Burglar ignores Meg? Not a problem - Meg will paw at burglar until burglar finally gives up and starts rubbing her tummy. It's a clever ploy and I feel honored that she's willing to risk her life for my protection :)

VooMan
02-20-2003, 03:06 PM
hahaha Peaches, that is too funny! :)

And Heather, if you keep going back through the Oliver pics there are some really funny ones. :biglaugh: