PDA

View Full Version : Woo Hoo! Winter Fun!

TheEnforcer
02-17-2003, 11:08 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/artic...-2003Feb16.html (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A18315-2003Feb16.html)

The meteorologists saw the storm brewing. On their bays of computer screens, the surface maps showed the low-pressure system coming out of the Mississippi Valley, heading on a collision course with that cold dome of Canadian air.

Leading up to the weekend, they said, any number of things could have defused the major winter storm. Cold, high pressure could have pushed down further south, or the wild, warm, moist air moving up from the South could have veered off to sea. Countless other smaller things could have thrown off the whole thing. But they didn't.

"Everything has to come together for it to be a perfect snow storm," said Accuweather meteorologist John Dlugoenski.

And it did. By Saturday, the paths of intense cold and warm wet air collided, and the snow began. Yesterday, a second front of air moving up from South Carolina followed, turning inches of snow into a foot -- and more.

"In 150 years, we've had only two storms over 20 inches besides today," Dlugoenski said. Last night, meteorologists predicted that the snow could drift three feet deep in some areas before it ends midday today.

They hesitated at first to call it a blizzard, but by yesterday afternoon they decided -- with the wind, the cold, the amount of snow -- it qualified, Dlugoenski said.

"We're calling it the blizzard of 2003," he said. "There is the potential that this could be the biggest storm ever."

If the snow does not turn to sleet, compressing the fluffy crystals into hard pellets, some forecasters said that accumulation could top previous area storm records, perhaps even the all-time greatest 28-inch snowstorm of 1922. In 1899, a Valentine's snow dumped 20.5 inches on the city. Exactly 24 years ago this weekend, 18.7 inches, the third-biggest storm on record, fell. The 17.1 inches of snow in 1996 constituted the fourth-largest snowfall.

--------------------------------

More at.... http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/artic...-2003Feb16.html (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A18315-2003Feb16.html)

Any people in the DC area here??

Peaches
02-17-2003, 11:39 AM
Yesterday I asked Ulfie, Vick and JFK if they had any pictures...heard nothing...maybe they're all buried in it!! :zoinks:

We need a snow smilie

Last edited by Peaches at Feb 17 2003, 12:47 PM

Mike AI
02-17-2003, 11:44 AM
Peaches I was wondering the same thing. I see the photos on the news, and on websites... I hope all of our Northern Opranauts are staying warm and safe!!

New Orleans is cold and rainy :( I am sure the weather in Tampa is better!!! Just my luck!

Vick
02-17-2003, 11:49 AM
Coming out of self imposed exile .....

THIS SNOW IS TERRIBLE - I have over 2 feet on what used to be my yard!!!!!!!!! in central Maryland

Had to shovel out my heat pump and had to keep shoveling ovber the past 2 days just so we could open the front door

What's worse .... Friday rain and temps of 50 are predicted

Governor closed the roads yesterday with fines of $1,000 to any who was not emergency on the roads

Give me a few and I'll post video!!

Menace
02-17-2003, 11:57 AM
I'm in CT and so far they're saying we're looking at like 2 feet by the end also.

Seems we have like 8" on level spots so far but it's hard to tell because of the drifts.. REALLY windy.

-Dennis :bwave:

TheEnforcer
02-17-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Vick@Feb 17 2003, 11:57 AM
Coming out of self imposed exile .....

THIS SNOW IS TERRIBLE - I have over 2 feet on what used to be my yard!!!!!!!!! in central Maryland

Had to shovel out my heat pump and had to keep shoveling ovber the past 2 days just so we could open the front door

What's worse .... Friday rain and temps of 50 are predicted

Governor closed the roads yesterday with fines of $1,000 to any who was not emergency on the roads

Give me a few and I'll post video!!
Ahhhh.. I LOVE those types of snowstorms. I can understand why others don't, especially in parts of the country that aren't used to them. But when these types of storms come I generally make a big batch of hot chocolate and sit in a chair by my large living room windows and drink hot chocolate and watch the storm. VERY relaxing!! :okthumb:

ulfie
02-17-2003, 12:10 PM
I'm in the mountains so we have all the equipment to deal with the snow. 40 inches in a day and a half is a lot to deal with though. Roads are already clear here, I just need to shovel a path to the car and remove all the snow the plow dumped next to it in order to get it out. :angry:

Vick
02-17-2003, 12:20 PM
Hmmm ... what's the big deal

1 Million+ over budget for state snow clean up - just from this storm
Airports closed for over 24 hours stranding many
A Portion Of B & O Railroad Museum's Roof Caved in from snow storm
Having to check on my 83 year young grandparents to make sure they are ok
Shoveling out heat pump to ensure it runs and shoveling out door just to make sure we could leave if need be
Serious ice falling from roof which could injure
Roads closed to all traffic
Flooding that will happen later this week

and that's just the begining

so yes - THIS SNOW SUCKS!!!

Video to come soon

TheEnforcer
02-17-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by ulfie@Feb 17 2003, 12:18 PM
I'm in the mountains so we have all the equipment to deal with the snow. 40 inches in a day and a half is a lot to deal with though. Roads are already clear here, I just need to shovel a path to the car and remove all the snow the plow dumped next to it in order to get it out. :angry:
LOL

On the one hand you gotta like the snow plow guys cause they are usually quite good at being on the ball and maikng the streets safe BUT on the other hand you hate the son of a bitch because you end up having this huge ass pile of snow right at the entry of your driveway thatcan make it a real pain in the ass toshovel out!!

ShannonRush
02-17-2003, 02:39 PM
My Dad just sent me this pic from his backdoor in NJ. I haven't seen snow like that since I was a kid!

http://www.shannonrush.com/MVC-001S.JPG