PDA

View Full Version : Narc

SykkBoy
01-18-2003, 02:03 PM
Wow
Has anyone else seen "Narc" with Ray Liotta and Jason Patric?
This is one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. While the plot seems a bit cliche at first, the brilliant writing and acting makes this movie really stand out. It's an acting workshop.

This begs the question: If a movie is made in 2002 but you dion't get to see it until 2003, is it the best movie of 2002 or best of 2003? I'd say this is one of the top 3 films since 2000, right up there with "Memento" and "Requiem For A Dream".

DX
01-18-2003, 02:49 PM
Saw it on 1/2.
Quite frankly, it was very predictable, and It's an OVERacting workshop ; )... taking a cue from Denzel in Training Day.

As for Memento, I know it's the 'cool' thing to do to say you like this movie, but get real, it was crap... not only that, it was crap in reverse.. which wasn't even an original idea.

If you haven't.. check out Boondock Saints... now THAT was brilliant.

MikeW
01-18-2003, 02:57 PM
Boondock Saints was pretty awesome ;) ... I'll wait for Narc on DVD, being a big Liotta fan, I'll prolly just buy it when it comes out anyway. No time to go to the 'movies' anymore ... :blink:

DX
01-18-2003, 03:03 PM
Ray Liotta rules it... but Narc... ehh... with all the hype, I expected much
more out of the movie than I got.

I didn't go to the movies to see Narc...
Didn't even have to leave my office ; )

Winetalk.com
01-18-2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by DX@Jan 18 2003, 02:57 PM
Saw it on 1/2.
Quite frankly, it was very predictable, and It's an OVERacting workshop ; )... taking a cue from Denzel in Training Day.

As for Memento, I know it's the 'cool' thing to do to say you like this movie, but get real, it was crap... not only that, it was crap in reverse.. which wasn't even an original idea.

not everybody can dig Memento...I loved the movie, saw it 3 times

Also seen About Shmidt today..
solid 8 1/2 on 10 scale but wait 15 years to appreciate it fully
;-))

SykkBoy
01-18-2003, 04:31 PM
DX, I saw "Memento" before the hype machine kicked in...still loved it...
"Boondock Saints" was definitely a good flick too, but I still place "Narc" high on my movie going list.

Serge, I'm going to check out "About Schmidt" next weekend.

I also have a friend arranging a screening of "Ken Park" for me and I have high expectations for that one.

Hmmm, anyone up for a film festival or movie marathon at the next webmaster show? ;)

Sword
01-18-2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by DX@Jan 18 2003, 03:11 PM
I didn't go to the movies to see Narc...
Didn't even have to leave my office ; )
Kazaa to the rescue? B)

Peaches
01-18-2003, 04:54 PM
I loved Momento! It was a good story AND the way it was told was very clever - it kept you entertained and interested :)

Count me in for any movies during the shows (or any time :awinky: ). I know it's a wuss movie, but we watched The Rookie last night and what a great story! On the DVD they also have a bit about the REAL guy and damn - they really didn't embellish much - if anything, they left stuff out that would have even made it MORE incredible. Just an all around "Feel good" story (plus I can watch Dennis Quaid sit in a chair for 2 hours and be happy). :okthumb:

SykkBoy
01-18-2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Peaches@Jan 18 2003, 05:02 PM
I loved Momento! It was a good story AND the way it was told was very clever - it kept you entertained and interested :)

Count me in for any movies during the shows (or any time :awinky: ). I know it's a wuss movie, but we watched The Rookie last night and what a great story! On the DVD they also have a bit about the REAL guy and damn - they really didn't embellish much - if anything, they left stuff out that would have even made it MORE incredible. Just an all around "Feel good" story (plus I can watch Dennis Quaid sit in a chair for 2 hours and be happy). :okthumb:
I actually liked "The Rookie" too...I was thinking "A G-rated movie about baseball? No thanks" but my wife rented it and I really enjoyed it.

Peaches, I'll have to introduce you to my world of movies...where titles like "Gummo" and "Glengarry Glen Ross" site next to "Frankenhooker" and "Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers" Give me artsy fartsy movies or b-grade trash classics and I'm equally happy...I just can't handle chick flicks and generic teen comedies...by the way, Freddie Prinze Jr. is the devil..and not in the fun frollicky way either...

DX
01-18-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Sword@Jan 18 2003, 05:00 PM
Kazaa to the rescue? B)
I wouldn't install Kazaa or any of those apps on my PC if you paid me.

Vick
01-18-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by SykkBoy@Jan 18 2003, 04:39 PM
Hmmm, anyone up for a film festival or movie marathon at the next webmaster show? ;)
The only problem I see with that is the selection of movies :o

Sykk (and Mike Fold) might want to introduce the world to um... interesting underground B flicks
While I worship at the shrine of Tarintino and DeNiro
Of course we have the foreign film contingent and the chick flickers and the unknown film classic adventurers as well as the gangster (not gansta) cartel

Hmmm ..... might be a good op to broden horizons

SykkBoy
01-19-2003, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Vick+Jan 18 2003, 06:41 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Vick @ Jan 18 2003, 06:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--SykkBoy@Jan 18 2003, 04:39 PM
The only problem I see with that is the selection of movies :o

Sykk (and Mike Fold) might want to introduce the world to um... interesting underground B flicks
While I worship at the shrine of Tarintino and DeNiro
Of course we have the foreign film contingent and the chick flickers and the unknown film classic adventurers as well as the gangster (not gansta) cartel

Hmmm ..... might be a good op to broden horizons[/b][/quote]
I worship at the altar of Tarrantino too...

There is actually this whole new underground movie movement with some amazing filmmakers. Tommy Christ is a guy worth seeking out, his movies can be a bit pretentious and they are very "dirty" looking. He applied a texture to his movies, both visually and character-wise that mtakes you right into the world of his dark and desperate characters. Then you have Eric Stanze who I pray that someone with throw a couple million dollars at this kid and say "here, go make your fuckin' movie". This guy did more in "Ice From The Sun" with $25K than some guys have done with millions.

He also made one of the most disturbing movies I have ever seen called "Scrapbook". I was reading a behind the scenes account and the main actor and actress took a while to get "out of character" after shooting was completed and they could barely talk to each other and sadly, the actor, Tommy Biondo, died a short time later (he did his own stunts and fell doing a rock climbing gig).

Hmmm, a film festival...could definietly be a nice way to introduce people to something a little different...some artsy fartsy stuff, some bad cinema, some cheesy sci-fi, a "blockbuster" and the greatest Arnold Swarzenegger role ever, as Handsome Stranger in "The Villian" or maybe his first American film "Hercules In New York" (one of my all time favorite bad movies...imagine Arnie with a dubbed in mid-western accented voice over).

Zebra
01-20-2003, 04:56 PM
Sykk - Click here (http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/Movies/01/20/wkd.narc.joe.carnahan.ap/index.html) for an interesting article about the director of Narc. Sounds like he broke through into the big time. Narc was his first big budget film and for his next flick the studio gave him a Harrison Ford thriller and a $70 million budget.. not bad for his sophomore outing. The new movie with Ford has Ford playing a detective who is hired by a drug-dealer to find the person who kidnapped and killed the dealer's wife. Sounds pretty good.

Last edited by Zebra at Jan 20 2003, 05:05 PM

Plugger
01-20-2003, 06:55 PM
I haven't really seen to many good movies lately, but I can hardly wait to search out some of the recommendadtions here :D

SykkBoy
01-21-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Zebra@Jan 20 2003, 05:04 PM
Sykk - Click here (http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/Movies/01/20/wkd.narc.joe.carnahan.ap/index.html) for an interesting article about the director of Narc. Sounds like he broke through into the big time. Narc was his first big budget film and for his next flick the studio gave him a Harrison Ford thriller and a $70 million budget.. not bad for his sophomore outing. The new movie with Ford has Ford playing a detective who is hired by a drug-dealer to find the person who kidnapped and killed the dealer's wife. Sounds pretty good.
Nice!

I love reading stories like these. That's why I find independent cinema so fascinating...the whole process of these guys working on small budgets and financing their films with credit cards. There's a great documentary called "American Movie" that chronicles a young filmmaker making his dream movie "Coven" and how he was this average Minnesota hick who wanted to make a movie and got financing via his senile uncle. The documentary is more entertaining than the movie he ended up making ;)

grimm
01-27-2003, 08:26 PM
I saw NARC the other night and found it gritty, and fast paste and enjoyable.

grimm
01-27-2003, 08:33 PM
paced not paste.

damn hooked on phonics

Sherie
01-27-2003, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by DX@Jan 18 2003, 11:57 AM
Saw it on 1/2.

Thank you!! I thought that 'Memento' sucked major ass!! It was one of the driest movies I have ever seen!! Boring and yet lame all at the same time! :wnw:

grimm
01-27-2003, 09:11 PM
i liked memento, as well as boondock saints.

memento was a gimmicky movie, but worked well. Insomnia (his follow up) was plodding and predictable.

grimm
01-27-2003, 09:12 PM
as a litmus test...

what was your favorite movie of all time? and why?