PDA

View Full Version : Brrrrr!

Peaches
01-18-2003, 11:18 AM
With at least an inch of snow still on the ground from Thursday, and subfreezing temperatures, I don't think I'm living in Georgia! Houses here were NOT built for this (at least mine wasn't :( ) I am accepting any and all donations for my heating bills :wnw:

http://www.onlinebeach.com/toocold.jpg

dantheman
01-18-2003, 11:25 AM
peaches its just as cold here a little west of you, I think it got down to around 10:(

somebody must of came in from canada and left the door open:)

Forest
01-18-2003, 11:45 AM
I can tell you its cold here in miami...

but still warmer than most :wnw:

RawAlex
01-18-2003, 11:54 AM
Peaches, see that setting marked -40? We almost made it a few times in the last week here at night...

With the windchill, we were certainly there last night, and there wasn't hardly any wind!

Enjoy it :-)

Alex

Peaches
01-18-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by RawAlex@Jan 18 2003, 01:02 PM
Peaches, see that setting marked -40? We almost made it a few times in the last week here at night...

With the windchill, we were certainly there last night, and there wasn't hardly any wind!

Enjoy it :-)

Alex
Yeah, Alex, but you folks have INSULATION in your houses and your water pipes are underground :( My 2 heat sources haven't cut off in 24 hours and we have to leave the water dripping in faucets all night to keep the pipes from freezing. :awinky:

We're going out hiking today :gbounce:

My female dog won't pee on the snow, so she goes under the decks and my male spends all his time trying to EAT the snow - brilliant :zoinks:

I have to say, last night, with the full moon shining down on the snow....it made it all worth while - absolutely BEAUTIFUL!! :okthumb:

Billy
01-18-2003, 12:18 PM
It was cold here in New Orleans last night !

Burrrrrr..... in fact it got down in the 30's last night !!

Mike AI
01-18-2003, 12:42 PM
Billy it got down to 28 last night in NEW Orleans....

Not good at all....

TheEnforcer
01-18-2003, 12:52 PM
That's a nice day around these parts Peaches!! :okthumb:

Cold in Miami Forest?? ROFLMFAO!! There is NO SUCH THING!!

JerryW
01-18-2003, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by TheEnforcer@Jan 18 2003, 01:00 PM
That's a nice day around these parts Peaches!! :okthumb:

Cold in Miami Forest?? ROFLMFAO!! There is NO SUCH THING!!
We had windchill in the 30's last night :angry: That's cold, damnit...

TheEnforcer
01-18-2003, 04:04 PM
HAHHAHHAHAHA!!!

Oh man.. you people just crack me up!! 30 degrees w/ wind chill is cold?? That's too damn funny!! That doesn't even begin to describe cold.

Peaches
01-18-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by TheEnforcer@Jan 18 2003, 05:12 PM
HAHHAHHAHAHA!!!

Oh man.. you people just crack me up!! 30 degrees w/ wind chill is cold?? That's too damn funny!! That doesn't even begin to describe cold.
It is when you don't have heat :( I know a lot of people in S. FL that don't have heating systems or fire places. Gets a little cool inside w/out them.

It's like people in the south don't understand why people in Chicago die when it's 100 degrees - it's because there's no AC and the older people downtown are afraid to open the windows (those that live in places where the windows DO open).

When homes aren't built for certain weather extremes, it ain't a picnic when they occur :nyanya:

ulfie
01-18-2003, 05:08 PM
Went skiing this morning and it was -10 degrees F on top of the mountain. Warmed up to a high of 8 today. :ph34r:

RawAlex
01-18-2003, 05:11 PM
Peaches, I get a laugh every time I go into a "southern" house...

insulation would make them about 1000 times more effecient in the heat. Keep the cool air in, keep the warm air out. Even some reasonable r5 or r10 styrofoam sm stuff would be a huge improvement, as would making sure that things like windows and doors don't have drafts and gaps in them. Most people in the south just seem to whip an even bigger AC unit up there, and spend way more for electricity, rather than doing the basics.

When cooler weather does come, things wouldn't suck so bad - and yourAC bill would be much lower the rest of the year :-)

Alex

TheEnforcer
01-18-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by RawAlex@Jan 18 2003, 05:19 PM
Peaches, I get a laugh every time I go into a "southern" house...

insulation would make them about 1000 times more effecient in the heat. Keep the cool air in, keep the warm air out. Even some reasonable r5 or r10 styrofoam sm stuff would be a huge improvement, as would making sure that things like windows and doors don't have drafts and gaps in them. Most people in the south just seem to whip an even bigger AC unit up there, and spend way more for electricity, rather than doing the basics.

When cooler weather does come, things wouldn't suck so bad - and yourAC bill would be much lower the rest of the year :-)

Alex
Yup. Sums that up well.

I suggest you guys invest in some space heaters too if ya don't have heat in your house cause I got a feeling this screwy weather ain't going anywhere soon. IMHO it's gonna be a regualr occurance for several years yet. A if it's gonna get REALLY cold overnight and you are worried about your pipes freezing turn on your fawcet to a steady trickle and let it run overnight.

SykkBoy
01-18-2003, 05:50 PM
was 70 here yesterday...damn Vegas winters ;)))

Peaches
01-18-2003, 05:50 PM
I'm in an even more unique situation living in a log house - there's not a whole lot I can do to the sides as far as insulation :( If I can ever get my 100+ acres out in the wilderness, and build ANOTHER log cabin (which I DO love), it will be with MUCH thicker logs. Mine are fine for normal weather, but "abnormal" weather is when it gets tricky.

Plus, it wasn't built as a full time home - the original owner built it as a 2nd home/cabin. The roof is pitched with no attic. The only way to add insulation to the roof would be to re-roof. Though I have to admit that it must be pretty decent as there was no snow melting on it. When we lived in Marietta, WITH an attic, snow would melt almost the second it hit the roof, the house was so poorly insulated.

I have a heat pump, but if I decide to keep the house full time, I'll probably do what Wig has and have a propane central heater kick on when it hits below 34. I have an auxilary space heater downstairs that's propane and the propane gas logs, so that helps - especially a week ago when it was 30 and the electricity went out :zoinks:

It helps that I'm hot natured - I keep the thermostat around 60-62 any way :rokk:

Plugger
01-19-2003, 02:51 AM
I feel for you all . . . I didn't even need a jacket today :D

Almighty Colin
01-19-2003, 04:50 AM
Originally posted by TheEnforcer@Jan 18 2003, 04:12 PM
HAHHAHHAHAHA!!!

I lived much of my life in the Northern US but one really does adjust to the tropics. Yesterday's 40-ish fahrenheit ante meridiem temps were unbearable for me.

You have to remember many of us down here near the end of the world don't even have jackets!

Almighty Colin
01-19-2003, 04:56 AM
Miami, FL. How cold is it here? 36 degrees. Only 8 degrees warmer than the coldest temperature ever recorded here. It's like the "end times" to a Floridian. Hell has frozen over.

Can't wait until Thursday when the expected high is back to 77.

Almighty Colin
01-19-2003, 05:02 AM
I just stepped outside (in my shorts).

It's not nearly as cold feeling as I thought it would be.

I remember being in Minneapolis for a Super Bowl. It was so cold there the water in my eyes froze.
In Minneapolis they have heated enclosed walkways to get around the city.

TheEnforcer
01-19-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Colin+Jan 19 2003, 04:58 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Colin @ Jan 19 2003, 04:58 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--TheEnforcer@Jan 18 2003, 04:12 PM
HAHHAHHAHAHA!!!

I lived much of my life in the Northern US but one really does adjust to the tropics. Yesterday's 40-ish fahrenheit ante meridiem temps were unbearable for me.

You have to remember many of us down here near the end of the world don't even have jackets![/b][/quote]
I haven't worn a winter coat but a handful of times in the last several years up here. Only times I really have are when I go to Packers games. I usually just throw on a hooded sweatshirt when I go out during the winter.

cj
01-19-2003, 07:05 PM
i'm just heading to the beach, and stopped off to read a few threads .... the 90+ degree weather outside with the fluffy white clouds and blue sky is calling!! enjoy the cold folks!

:P :D :agrin:

MikeW
01-19-2003, 07:11 PM
cj <------- :shooter:

;-))))

Last edited by MikeW at Jan 19 2003, 07:20 PM

dantheman
01-20-2003, 12:12 PM
cj, we waiting on the pictures B)

voodooman
01-20-2003, 02:26 PM
After a chilling 22 deg last night, its now 72 deg here today.

Im out for the day on my motorcycle.

Have Fun. :rokk:

Plugger
01-21-2003, 03:32 AM
You know, it is always 70 degrees in my office :biglaugh:

Hell Puppy
01-21-2003, 11:15 PM
Supposed to be like 9 degrees overnight Thursday here in Hotlanta.

That means Peaches may see temps near 0.....she's gonna need an extra dog or two, plus hit a couple of the local stills for some moonshine...

I may actually close my bedroom window....i normally like a little fresh air no matter how cold it is...

Peaches
01-22-2003, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by Hell Puppy@Jan 22 2003, 12:23 AM
Supposed to be like 9 degrees overnight Thursday here in Hotlanta.

That means Peaches may see temps near 0.....she's gonna need an extra dog or two, plus hit a couple of the local stills for some moonshine...

I may actually close my bedroom window....i normally like a little fresh air no matter how cold it is...
Yeah, I saw that forecast :zoinks: The snow finally melted up here yesterday. It was the strangest thing - still about an inch on the ground until about 3 PM, then from 3-5 - everything POOF! Gone!

I'm usually the same way with my window, but I have to admit - once it gets below 32, mine's closed :okthumb:

The propane tank's at 80% (thanks to the guys that tore up 1/3 of what little actual lawn I have during their unrequested refill at $1.69 a gallon :angry: - going to Blue Ridge tomorrow for a little chat with them), the dogs are freshly bathed for cleaner bed warming, the down comforter is fluffed, I'm stocked up on wine - yep - I'm ready!! :bjump:

RawAlex
01-22-2003, 01:21 AM
PEaches, I thought of something...

I have a heat pump here as well (Canada, imagine) - in order to be sure that I have enough fire power to handle the weather (like tonight, witht he wild chill we will be down to -44 (air temp of about -30) they have a suplimental heater core in the airflow... when the heat pump can't do it alone, the extra heater is kicked in.

You might want to check, depending on what your electrical costs are down there, it might be more effective to do this than to install a secondary heating system...

:-)

Alex

Raya
01-22-2003, 01:35 AM
Boston weather Clear and bitterly cold Low 7° F / Real Feel[TM] -10° F.
Tomorrow night even colder. I've had to move off the boat. We can't keep it warm enough. I've moved into the studio and will probably be here on and off all week. Right now we are trying to make sure it's at least warm enough on the boat so no pipes freeze. (That would be very bad)

Where we are in the harbor the ocean froze around the boat on Monday. They now have to take the skiffs out to break up the ice so it wont damage any of the boats.

I have started wearing my long underwear and so many layers just to keep remotly warm. This is the only time that living on the boat has not been wonderful.

princess
01-22-2003, 04:20 PM
Peaches hon, they're calling for like 4 degrees in the morning. Hope you're ready for it.

btw, we need to get together and do lunch one day. I'll buy!

:okthumb:

Peaches
01-22-2003, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by princess@Jan 22 2003, 05:28 PM
Peaches hon, they're calling for like 4 degrees in the morning. Hope you're ready for it.

btw, we need to get together and do lunch one day. I'll buy!

:okthumb:
No kidding - I just looked at weather.com and saw that! My brother's supposed to be coming over tomorrow and putting in an doggie door - I'm not so sure tomorrow's a smart day to have an outside door completely off the hinges for any length of time :zoinks:

YES, we need to do lunch - with Wig, too! And we'll make HIM pay :agrin:

Did you get any snow last week?

ulfie
01-22-2003, 04:44 PM
Just checked the weather and we have a heat wave coming in...

Tonight
Jan 22 Flurries 2° 0 %
Thu
Jan 23 Flurries / Wind 10°/8° 0 %
Fri
Jan 24 Partly Cloudy 21°/5° 0 %
Sat
Jan 25 Few Snow Showers 25°/12° 30 %
Sun
Jan 26 Snow Shower 25°/20° 30 %
Mon
Jan 27 Cloudy 28°/25° 10 %

:ph34r:

Peaches
01-22-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by ulfie@Jan 22 2003, 05:52 PM
Just checked the weather and we have a heat wave coming in...

Tonight
Jan 22 Flurries 2° 0 %
Thu
Jan 23 Flurries / Wind 10°/8° 0 %
Fri
Jan 24 Partly Cloudy 21°/5° 0 %
Sat
Jan 25 Few Snow Showers 25°/12° 30 %
Sun
Jan 26 Snow Shower 25°/20° 30 %
Mon
Jan 27 Cloudy 28°/25° 10 %

:ph34r:
That's NOT too far off from us! :zoinks:

Tonight
Jan 22 Flurries 19° 0 %
Thu
Jan 23 Partly Cloudy / Wind 22°/4° 0 %
Fri
Jan 24 Mostly Sunny 32°/12° 0 %
Sat
Jan 25 Mostly Sunny 37°/18° 0 %
Sun
Jan 26 Partly Cloudy 40°/22° 10 %
Mon
Jan 27 Partly Cloudy 44°/28° 10 %

:nyanya:

Now I just have to figure out a way to go skiiing down the Driveway of Death so I can say I went skiiing in it :awinky:

ulfie
01-22-2003, 04:55 PM
I failed to mention we also got 20 inches of new snow the last 3 days. Skiing has been awesome!! Why ski a driveway when you can ski a mountain? :P

Peaches
01-22-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by ulfie@Jan 22 2003, 06:03 PM
I failed to mention we also got 20 inches of new snow the last 3 days. Skiing has been awesome!! Why ski a driveway when you can ski a mountain? :P
Because some of us have to make do with what we've got :okthumb:

Cookie sheets make very good sleds, BTW :bjump:

heqdvd
01-22-2003, 06:29 PM
In Newark in my undergrad we used alunimum siding from crackhouses. For real friends.

AND SOMEONE ANSWER MY OPRANO NAME QUESTION.