PDA

View Full Version : Holy Shit!

Winetalk.com
01-16-2003, 11:58 PM
http://www.gofuckyourself.com/poll.php?s=&...lts&pollid=1086 (http://www.gofuckyourself.com/poll.php?s=&action=showresults&pollid=1086)

NOBODY clicks on banners,
Oprano drops prices for banners to ZERO,
but charges sponsors $500 per topic
starting February 1st!
;-)))

RawAlex
01-17-2003, 12:01 AM
Serge, webmasters are probably MORE immune to banners than most people... but we do appreciate a good banner more than most, I suspect!

Alex

Winetalk.com
01-17-2003, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by RawAlex@Jan 17 2003, 12:09 AM
Serge, webmasters are probably MORE immune to banners than most people... but we do appreciate a good banner more than most, I suspect!

Alex
Alex,
please define your definition of a good banner..

for me,
$3000 a month banner is a GOOD banner
;-)))

originalheather
01-17-2003, 01:12 AM
Interesting, and to think I was considering buying advertising space on a board.

That poll indicated though that most people do click at least sometimes..maybe Oprano should run the same poll.

RawAlex
01-17-2003, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by Serge_Oprano@Jan 17 2003, 12:11 AM
Alex,
please define your definition of a good banner..

for me,
$3000 a month banner is a GOOD banner
;-)))
I would have to say for you a good banner is one that pays you $3000 and makes the person paying more, so they want to pay you again.

For me, there is entertainment, information, etc... clicking on the banner isn't always an indication that the message got to me... especially when it comes to special promotions / special payouts...

Alex

Carrie
01-17-2003, 01:47 AM
Yeppers, I agree with Alex.
There's a new ARS banner out and about that grabbed my attention tonight and held it for a good minute as I watched it go through its schpiel twice to make sure I read it right.

*KK*
01-17-2003, 02:51 AM
The only banners besides the ones with Gabe on them that I notice are the ones where at least one word is spelled wrong on each frame or there is some other glaring, unproofread error.

Of course the flash ones here like the ARS health care one and the day the Epoch rock made noise got my attention lol

sextoyking
01-17-2003, 03:09 AM
I liked that Epoch Rock banner, watched it a couple of times when it came out :gbounce:

-= JR =-
01-17-2003, 03:26 AM
i ALWAYS notice the ARS banners. they grab your attention. if i sit here and think about it, i can only remember the ARS, Epoch and Sextraffic banners. there must be a reason for that (*note i am assuming that i am not half retarded) i dont see it as a question of being immune to banners. i think we are immune to "the same old shit" over and over.

Mutt
01-17-2003, 03:43 AM
i'm a banner clicker when i see something new i click and check it out.

what do you guys think of that SigSwap thing? I really think it's classless to piggyback something onto something other people have built up.

Sigs were first allowed on webmaster boards to reward regular contributors, people who give a link back - now go look at the GFY sigs, some guys are running bigger ads than the paying advertisers get.
I noticed GFY put up a warning today to get the sigs under control. Good move.

Opranauts aren't sig pigs like that. I have had two people offer me things to put them in my GFY sig. I said no.

if SigSwap shows up here i would ban it. It's not the concept that bothers me, good idea, it's that a third party is making money off other people's boards' generosity.

slavdogg
01-17-2003, 03:51 AM
i always click on new banners

princess
01-17-2003, 04:51 AM
Some companies don't change banners out enough. If they did they'd be clicked on more often. Everyone gets tired of seeing the same banners.

:okthumb:

BigCash
01-17-2003, 05:00 AM
Originally posted by princess@Jan 17 2003, 01:59 AM
Some companies don't change banners out enough. If they did they'd be clicked on more often. Everyone gets tired of seeing the same banners.

:okthumb:
I agree, rotation is very important - webmasters seem to be bored quickly by the same banner. Multiple banners and creative design is imperative to attract clicks, there are too many "standard" banners currently in circulation.

John
BigCash.com

originalheather
01-17-2003, 05:42 AM
I was gonna make my signature banner bigger, but I don't think that anyone wants to look at a bigger brad or me for that matter..at least it got noticed at first.

I like the Gabe ones. I don't really look at the other ones much.

Most animated banners are just annoying, like the one up top that flashes white and says 1, 2, 3, blah blah. don't know whose it is, it doesn't even have the company name on it. I don't feel like clicking to see whose it is.

princess
01-17-2003, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by originalheather@Jan 17 2003, 02:50 AM
Iit doesn't even have the company name on it. I don't feel like clicking to see whose it is.
Are you refering to the 468x60 that says ACHdebit.com on it? *wink*

Dianna Vesta
01-17-2003, 07:53 AM
I don't normally click many banners.

I think for marketing sake, it was good when small ads appeared on the flat board throughout the messages at the bottom. You couldn't help but see them and I often clicked those.

Maybe there's a way to add some type of copy or non animated banners to the messages at the bottom of the forum sig.

I also think that text copy is much more effective if it's written well and updated often. You can create creative banners that will wow people but it doesn't mean they'll click them.

The little simple boxes along the side of the flatboard were cool too. Simple and always there on the side.

The top section of Oprano is busy, too much going on and IMO it looks kinda cluttered.

DV

mustang
01-17-2003, 09:12 AM
What banners? I don't see no stinken banners. :)