PDA

View Full Version : Snow Crab Fishing In Ak

MissEve
01-14-2003, 11:41 PM
http://www.adn.com/ips_rich_content/887-n_dutch.jpg

Crabbers motored past the Holy Ascension Orthodox Cathedral on Monday in Unalaska en route to the Bering Sea snow crab grounds. Friday, fishermen in the Alaska Marketing Association accepted a price of $1.85 a pound from processors. The general fishery quota is 23.7 million pounds, among the lowest ever, according to Forrest Bowers of the Alaska Department of Fish and Game. (Photo by Jim Paulin / For the Anchorage Daily News)

Published: January 14, 2003

Mike AI
01-14-2003, 11:47 PM
:okthumb:

That is a cool photo!

Peaches
01-14-2003, 11:57 PM
Wow - that's a neat picture!! Alaska is my next "big" trip :bjump:

MissEve
01-15-2003, 12:02 AM
Peaches, I would love it! I will be your tour guide :)

Mike AI
01-15-2003, 12:05 AM
Peaches you should go the same time Katie and I make it up.... THIS SUMMER!!

Peaches
01-15-2003, 12:13 AM
Count me in! My brother and my son went a few years ago in August. They rented an RV and drove it around for about 10 days. My brother is a very frequent traveler (there are very few places he hasn't been) and he STILL says Alaska's his favorite vacation spot! And a few days before they came back, FedEx brought me a TON of smoked and fresh salmon that they caught :gbounce: My son thought they were at a salmon farm, they caught so many so fast! And the "snag" fishing where all they do it put hooks in the water!!!

Andrew (Vooman) has a friend that works for a cruise line who said the Alaskan cruise was her favorite. :)

I'll start packing now! :cdance:

-= JR =-
01-15-2003, 05:04 AM
Yikes! that brought back some miserable, cold, wet and exhausted memories.

Winetalk.com
01-15-2003, 05:31 AM
Peaches,
when you go to Alaska,
try getting both:
cruise AND land trip,
each has it's unique features and sightseeings

T - Bone
01-15-2003, 04:00 PM
Miss Eve when are you going to invite me up to Alaska and give me the grand tour? :)

I know you have to have some kind of hook ups on backcountry snowboarding. AK is featured in all the top videos as the spot to ride. Plus I've scene a few pics from the air and it looks like an incredible place that I need to visit.

MissEve
01-15-2003, 04:24 PM
dammit T-Bone, like I havent invited you a million times :)

T - Bone
01-15-2003, 04:40 PM
I didn't think you were really serious about Christmas. Besides if I did I would have just whooped on you in another game of Scrabble.

We'll have to figure out a good time of the year that would be good to hit the snow in the mountains and still be able fish the streams and rivers. I want to catch one of those BIG ass salmon. Maybe this Spring would work out nicely.

Hey I wanted to thank you for the first-class certificates to OR, worked out beautifully for the ride home.

Nickatilynx
01-15-2003, 05:11 PM
Pick up your cruise in Vancouver you people and visit the spam capital :)

MissEve
01-15-2003, 05:28 PM
I thought Hawaiians consumed the most spam? :D

btw T-Bone, I :inlove: the wine rack!!!

Nickatilynx
01-15-2003, 05:30 PM
hahahaha ,Miss Eve. (I'm convinced Anthony is samoan btw)

Consumption against production :)

originalheather
01-15-2003, 05:49 PM
I love fishing, couldn't go for years for fear of a possible mistaken identity. Didn't want to end up harpooned :D

Last time I fished it was when we portaged the boundary waters where they have the market cornered on mosquito production. I thought it was bad in the tropics..eeek, never saw a CLOUD of mosquitos before going there.

It was great though. Caught a bunch of trout and Walleyes (sp?). Also saw a few moose (not the cute, bearded kind that hangs around here) and a lot of loons (again, not the same kind you see here on a daily basis).

Alaska has always been a dream trip for me, maybe one of these days..I think I'll just try to get Billy and Dee to let me tag along in the marsh one of these trips.

Nickatilynx
01-15-2003, 05:51 PM
I think I'll just try to get Billy and Dee to let me tag along in the marsh one of these trips.

Any chance of a Hunting "accident" ? :)

:yowsa: :agrin:

:devil: :devil: :devil:

(payback for the Irish robber stuff)

originalheather
01-15-2003, 06:34 PM
Payback's a bitch...but then so am I :P

Billy
01-15-2003, 06:42 PM
Miss Eve.. please invite NO-BONE so he will be happy.. Please !!

Dianna Vesta
01-16-2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Peaches@Jan 15 2003, 12:21 AM
Count me in! My brother and my son went a few years ago in August. They rented an RV and drove it around for about 10 days. My brother is a very frequent traveler (there are very few places he hasn't been) and he STILL says Alaska's his favorite vacation spot! And a few days before they came back, FedEx brought me a TON of smoked and fresh salmon that they caught :gbounce: My son thought they were at a salmon farm, they caught so many so fast! And the "snag" fishing where all they do it put hooks in the water!!!

Andrew (Vooman) has a friend that works for a cruise line who said the Alaskan cruise was her favorite. :)

I'll start packing now! :cdance:
That's what I want to do... take an RV aroudn Alaska. It's definately my next big trip.

So many people say that the only real way to see it is from a boat. I'd like to do that too.

I'd love to go to New Zealand and do a motorcyle cruise along the coast.

It doesn't look like any trips for me for a while tho. :) - I am looking forward to the summer show. <eg>

Does anyone have info on that yet? Internext Summer? Florida I hope.

LA Mike
01-16-2003, 03:06 PM
Dianna, The next show is in fact in Hollywood FL again....

I was thining maybe we could do it in Alaska for the January show next year :)