PDA

View Full Version : Windows .net Server

EricP
12-29-2002, 02:06 AM
I have been playing around with Windows .NET Server Beta RC1 & 2.

Both seems very solid to me. I am very impressed.

Anyone else playing around with it yet?

heqdvd
01-02-2003, 04:44 AM
the licensing agreement is horrible -

if you buy the pro pack, they keep pushing manadatory updates on you

you better have $$$!

Last edited by heqdvd at Jan 2 2003, 04:53 AM

EricP
01-02-2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by heqdvd@Jan 2 2003, 04:52 AM
the licensing agreement is horrible -

if you buy the pro pack, they keep pushing manadatory updates on you

you better have $$$!
Care to explain a bit further?

With examples?

Last edited by EricP at Jan 2 2003, 10:55 AM

EricP
01-02-2003, 10:59 AM
http://www.microsoft.com/windows.netserver...ng/default.mspx (http://www.microsoft.com/windows.netserver/howtobuy/licensing/default.mspx)

I'm sure you can show me what you mean from the link above.

EricP
01-13-2003, 06:11 AM
Guess not?

:rolleyes:

heqdvd
01-16-2003, 10:37 AM
Justice Department attorneys, in a court filing made public last week, argued against Microsoft’s request that the entire antitrust case against them be dismissed. Prosecutors say Ms has ignored key facts in the case and tried to redefine the law to meet its own needs. However the filing wasn't just an argument against dropping the case. The DOJ use evidence in that filing to expand its case against Microsoft and include new evidence about the company's crippling DR-DOS (see story below), asking Intuit, Apple and Intel to stop making competing products, and its attacks on Java. The filing also said that Gates and other Microsoft executives were extremely combative during their depositions, at one point denying that they know what a "browser" is, only acknowledging that the company markets "Internet Technologies that allow users to access the web."
The day after that new evidence was filed, Microsoft's lawyers tried to block it, saying prosecution is attempting to expand the case beyond their trial's original scope and that introducing new evidence this close to the trial will "deny Microsoft procedural due process." They also requested that the trial be delayed another six months and the witness limit be eliminated if new evidence is allowed. Justice attorneys replied by saying Microsoft is just attempting again to delay a case it knows it will not win. Behemoth lawyers replied to the reply by again asking the judge to toss out the whole case.
Last week a group of lawmakers led by Senator Slade Gorton accused the Justice Department of turning countries against Microsoft. Gorton, who represents Microsoft's home state and has received campaign money from the company, said the Justice Department is whipping up suspicions and mistrust of Microsoft in Israel, Brazil, Japan, and France, causing those contries to start similar antitrust investigations. Gorton was joined by Rick White, who represents Microsoft's House district and has also received campaign money from the company.
Gorton and White appeared at the Antitrust in Cyberspace forum, sponsored by Washington Institute Foundation and the Competitive Enterprise Institute, two nonprofit organizations "dedicated to the principles of free enterprise and limited government." They were joined by other Microsoft defenders who also made speeches. The only person there defending the antitrust case was James Love, executive director of Ralph Nader's Consumer Project on Technology.
"Microsoft is trying to do for Internet applications what it has done on the desktop -- shut down competition," Love said. "The Internet, in fact, is where all the current innovation is taking place. It has been driven out of the desktop." No hands were raised when Love asked if anyone could name a "Microsoft innovation," even though there were at least a dozen employees of the company in attendance.

Sources close to Caldera's antitrust suit against Microsoft say that a key witness has admitted under oath to deleting documents from computers in a Microsoft office during a previous federal investigation of the software giant. The documents in question would have illustrated Microsoft's predatory activities in attempting to stop sales of rival Digital Research's DR DOS, a product now owned by Caldera. This is the first time anyone from Microsoft has confessed to deliberately destroying information during an investigation. The admission gives Justice Department investigators more reasons to suspect that Microoft is holding back some evidence needed in their own antitrust case. Representatives of the DOJ said that they intend to investigate and will prosecute any obstruction of justice uncovered.

According to The Wall Street Journal, Microsoft has subpoenaed messages from two internal Netscape message forums. The forums, 'Bad Attitude' and 'Really Bad Attitude,' were used by Netscape workers to vent about their employer and its products. The four thousand largely critical messages sent to the members-only list now go straight to Microsoft's lawyers – leaving many Netscape employees worried that their own bosses could also see the job-endangering messages. A company representative would not say if the documents had already been turned over to Microsoft, but confirmed that Netscape had received a subpoena and was responding to it. They would not comment on the possibility of Netscape managers also gaining access to e-mails.

Last week Microsoft and Sun both gave U.S. District Court Judge Ronald Whyte a two hour lesson about Java technology. The presenatations were designed to bring Whyte up to speed on Java in advance of legal hearings set to begin next month in Sun's lawsuit charging Microsoft with violating its Java licensing contract. Sun engineers showed the judge how compatability across all platforms is necessary and is required in the licensing agreement Microsoft signed. They also explained how The Behemoth has added proprietary extensions to its J++ programming tools. Microsoft's programmers showed the judge how their modification of Java allows developers to put more functionality into the (Windows only) Java programs they build, and countered that J++ has an option allowing programmers to create only standardized Java applets.

Microsoft has announced a new pricing plan designed to lower the cost of NT for small businesses. Now companies that purchase five or more copies of Windows NT Workstation 4.0 also buy the rights to any upgrades or enhancements to the system that are delivered over the next two years. The new licensing agreement, available from now until December 31, costs $38 more than the cost of a single license of Windows NT Workstation. Unfortunately, at the rate things are going there won't be an upgrade or enhancement for NT until 2014.
While Bill Gates spoke at the Microsoft DevDay convention in Santa Clara CA, Oracle set up a booth outside and handed out freebies. Thousands of DevDay attendees received Oracle jDeveloper 1.1 CDs, chocolate covered coffee beans and t-shirts that said "Building for the Web, not just for Windows." Microsoft had no comment.

Not only does Microsoft require third party developers to
distribute and install Microsoft Internet Explorer on their customers'
computers to use this file, but Microsoft requires software companies to
issue MS reviewed press releases, place the MSIE logo on a company's
home page, deploy MS specific technologies (e.g., Channel webcast
optimization via a CDF file, Dynamic HTML, or NetShow content) on a
company's Internet product page, and make MSIE and MS Outlook available
Explorer and Outlook Express available for use
internally under a company's customary information services policies and
procedures.

Last edited by heqdvd at Jan 16 2003, 10:48 AM

heqdvd
01-16-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by EricP@Jan 13 2003, 06:19 AM
Guess not?

Guess so.

EricP
01-16-2003, 10:43 AM
What you posted is total crap.

heqdvd
01-16-2003, 10:46 AM
Stunning intelluctual reply!!! Guess the lawyers are making it up...

This is the response 95% of BBS posters given when confronted with legal reality. Or any kind of fact. Getting real used to it, but disillusioned nevertheless...

I use MS at work and home, becasue it is the defacto standard. But I do all vid and graphics on other platforms, THE ONES THEY ORIGINATED ON>

Were you ever a webmaster for a corporation? Or is this for your home use? Did tou hear what Bill Gates' father said this morning??

Oh, I see.

Last edited by heqdvd at Jan 16 2003, 10:58 AM

EricP
01-16-2003, 10:50 AM
I use MS at work and home, becasue it is the defacto standard

Can you not use Linux?

Can you not use Opera?

Face it....MS makes you cream.

heqdvd
01-16-2003, 10:54 AM
Yes Eric, I do think that MS is workable put please read this:

seems like the world is turning upside down and inside out. Few things ever seem to make sense in worldly terms, but the events of recent days have truly threatened to turn what's left of our freedom in the U.S. into a surreal nightmare.

First, some VarLinux.org readers noted that Congress is considering a bill that would allow recording companies and other content providers to crack into P2P networks to protect their content from piracy. As one reader pointed out, this would give content providers more power than the FBI to not only invade your privacy, but to sabotage your network and software.

To quote the Yahoo news story on this topic, "The proposal would lift civil and criminal penalties against entertainment companies "disabling, interfering with, blocking, diverting or otherwise impairing" the online trading of pirated songs and movies. Wholesale attacks knocking an Internet user off-line would not be permitted "except as may be reasonably necessary" to prevent a copyright violation. Copyright owners would be required to explain in advance to the Justice Department (news -- Web sites) the methods they intend to use against pirates."

In other words, Megalorecords, Inc. will have to tell the D.O.J. it's going to use a lead pipe as the murder weapon before it knocks off Colonel Mustard in the study. How reassuring.

Allow me to be clear on one point. I don't use any P2P software, so I can't comment on any of it. I have stated I believe many if not most people using Napster were stealing copyrighted music, and I believe people should not have been using Napster for that purpose. I am not on the side of those who think fair-use covers making your music available to anyone who happens to have Internet access. Nor do I think it is a valid argument to have defended Napster on the grounds of free speech. Again, I don't know how much of this applies to P2P, but I don't want anyone to get the idea that I'm in favor of violating existing copyrights.

Palladium
I do happen to think that the answer to the problem of piracy is not to enforce copyrights (especially through the use of digital rights management) or even entirely eliminate copyrights (I don't think that would be necessary), but to overhaul copyrights and the way companies make money on things like music. That's a topic too complex to tackle in this column, but the latest digital rights management connection deserves some attention.

Microsoft recently announced its Palladium initiative. The Palladium is a warmed-over Clipper chip. Microsoft is selling the idea as a hardware-enabled way to make your PC software secure, but all it really amounts to is a digital cop that arrests any software that tries to use copyrighted content in an unapproved manner. In plain language, your computer will only play songs or movies if you've paid for them. That's right. It's chip-enforced digital rights management.

It seems natural for Microsoft to be interested in digital rights management because Gates and company are perhaps the most paranoid creatures on earth when it comes to piracy. However, I believe there is an even more ulterior motive here. Microsoft has a patent on the concept of a digital rights management operating system. If Microsoft can make the Palladium successful, it can present the open source community with two choices. PCs running Linux or any other non-Microsoft OS may not use the chip, in which case these PCs will not be able to play any copyrighted DVDs or music CDs. If the open source OS uses the chip, someone has to pay Microsoft for the right to do so, since it owns the patent.

Some people are dismissing the Palladium chip because they equate it with Intel's plans for the CPU ID, plans that were thwarted by the massive public reaction against the ID. Nevertheless, Palladium is likely to get the backing of huge content providers. If these content providers have the power to sway Congress on issues as outrageous as cracking P2P networks, then they have the power to get Palladium installed on every motherboard by default. That's what makes Palladium scary.

EricP
01-16-2003, 10:54 AM
Or is this for your home use?

Actually at HiRise, 98% of our servers are *Nix based... but we do use a few MS Servers - thanks for asking.

EricP
01-16-2003, 10:56 AM
Blah blah blah...

It makes like easier...get over it.

EricP
01-16-2003, 11:03 AM
Microsoft recently announced its Palladium initiative. The Palladium is a warmed-over Clipper chip. Microsoft is selling the idea as a hardware-enabled way to make your PC software secure, but all it really amounts to is a digital cop that arrests any software that tries to use copyrighted content in an unapproved manner. In plain language, your computer will only play songs or movies if you've paid for them. That's right. It's chip-enforced digital rights management.

GOOD!

Holy shit...and what...you think its OKAY to steal peoples work and not pay for it?

Can you not afford a decent OS or to pay for movies or music?

I don't get it.

:zoinks:

Last edited by EricP at Jan 16 2003, 11:12 AM

heqdvd
01-16-2003, 11:09 AM
Visit my sites and see what i do.

http://heqdvd.com

EricP
01-16-2003, 11:11 AM
I know what you do...and that makes it that much more shocking!

You bringing up Palladium like its a bad thing!

Last edited by EricP at Jan 16 2003, 11:31 AM

EricP
01-16-2003, 11:30 AM
If you are using STOLEN software, music, movies etc... Palladium is not a good thing.

If you are honest and pay for your software...you have nothing to worry about.

You raised some good points.

:okthumb:

EricP
01-16-2003, 11:36 AM
It seems natural for Microsoft to be interested in digital rights management because Gates and company are perhaps the most paranoid creatures on earth when it comes to piracy.

No shit? Ya think?

MS employees THOUSANDS of highly skilled, well paid programmers to produce the BEST OS on the market.

Why would they do anything else?

People are thieves and they have to protect their product.

EricP
01-16-2003, 11:40 AM
Dude, everything you posted is cut and past crap from

http://www.msboycott.com/news/98_09_07.shtml

Sep. 07 1998!

Last edited by EricP at Jan 16 2003, 02:09 PM

EricP
01-16-2003, 11:41 AM
Can't even come up with your own thoughts?

You have to go to msboycott.com and grab articles that are 5 years old?!

Come on dude....I really thought you were worth my time!

:D

Last edited by EricP at Jan 16 2003, 02:10 PM

EricP
01-16-2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by heqdvd@Jan 16 2003, 10:54 AM
This is the response 95% of BBS posters given when confronted with legal reality. Or any kind of fact.
You call 5 year old articles on msboycott.com FACTS?

Ha!!

Last edited by EricP at Jan 16 2003, 02:09 PM

EricP
01-16-2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by heqdvd@Jan 16 2003, 11:02 AM
Yes Eric, I do think that MS is workable put please read this:

seems like the world is turning upside down and inside out. Few things ever seem to make sense in worldly terms, but the events of recent days have truly threatened to turn what's left of our freedom in the U.S. into a surreal nightmare.

First, some VarLinux.org readers noted that Congress is considering a bill that would allow recording companies and other content providers to crack into P2P networks to protect their content from piracy. As one reader pointed out, this would give content providers more power than the FBI to not only invade your privacy, but to sabotage your network and software.

To quote the Yahoo news story on this topic, "The proposal would lift civil and criminal penalties against entertainment companies "disabling, interfering with, blocking, diverting or otherwise impairing" the online trading of pirated songs and movies. Wholesale attacks knocking an Internet user off-line would not be permitted "except as may be reasonably necessary" to prevent a copyright violation. Copyright owners would be required to explain in advance to the Justice Department (news -- Web sites) the methods they intend to use against pirates."

In other words, Megalorecords, Inc. will have to tell the D.O.J. it's going to use a lead pipe as the murder weapon before it knocks off Colonel Mustard in the study. How reassuring.

Allow me to be clear on one point. I don't use any P2P software, so I can't comment on any of it. I have stated I believe many if not most people using Napster were stealing copyrighted music, and I believe people should not have been using Napster for that purpose. I am not on the side of those who think fair-use covers making your music available to anyone who happens to have Internet access. Nor do I think it is a valid argument to have defended Napster on the grounds of free speech. Again, I don't know how much of this applies to P2P, but I don't want anyone to get the idea that I'm in favor of violating existing copyrights.

Palladium
I do happen to think that the answer to the problem of piracy is not to enforce copyrights (especially through the use of digital rights management) or even entirely eliminate copyrights (I don't think that would be necessary), but to overhaul copyrights and the way companies make money on things like music. That's a topic too complex to tackle in this column, but the latest digital rights management connection deserves some attention.

It seems natural for Microsoft to be interested in digital rights management because Gates and company are perhaps the most paranoid creatures on earth when it comes to piracy. However, I believe there is an even more ulterior motive here. Microsoft has a patent on the concept of a digital rights management operating system. If Microsoft can make the Palladium successful, it can present the open source community with two choices. PCs running Linux or any other non-Microsoft OS may not use the chip, in which case these PCs will not be able to play any copyrighted DVDs or music CDs. If the open source OS uses the chip, someone has to pay Microsoft for the right to do so, since it owns the patent.

Some people are dismissing the Palladium chip because they equate it with Intel's plans for the CPU ID, plans that were thwarted by the massive public reaction against the ID. Nevertheless, Palladium is likely to get the backing of huge content providers. If these content providers have the power to sway Congress on issues as outrageous as cracking P2P networks, then they have the power to get Palladium installed on every motherboard by default. That's what makes Palladium scary.
http://www.linuxworld.com/site-stories/200....microsoft.html (http://www.linuxworld.com/site-stories/2002/0731.microsoft.html)

Cut and paste CRAP.

EricP
01-16-2003, 11:48 AM
Face it -- you have no facts.

MS makes you cream.

Last edited by EricP at Jan 16 2003, 11:56 AM

EricP
01-16-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by heqdvd+Jan 16 2003, 10:49 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (heqdvd @ Jan 16 2003, 10:49 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--EricP@Jan 13 2003, 06:19 AM
Guess not?

Guess so.[/b][/quote]
Guess not.

heqdvd
01-17-2003, 06:59 PM
Funny coming from a guy that makes NOTHING tangible.

Did I say I wrote that? Why are you threatened?

http://www.oprano.com/msgboard/index.php?a...b6dac63a5427d14 (http://www.oprano.com/msgboard/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=1555&s=7a7082f0854139abdb6dac63a5427d14)

you quoted the wrong source, affiliate guy.

EricP
01-22-2003, 01:58 PM
Just admit it man ... Microsoft makes you CREAM!

:D

EricP
01-22-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by heqdvd@Jan 17 2003, 07:07 PM
Funny coming from a guy that makes NOTHING tangible.

Did I say I wrote that? Why are you threatened?

http://www.oprano.com/msgboard/index.php?a...b6dac63a5427d14 (http://www.oprano.com/msgboard/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=1555&s=7a7082f0854139abdb6dac63a5427d14)

you quoted the wrong source, affiliate guy.
And, no...I did not.

heqdvd
01-22-2003, 05:59 PM
OK. Sorry, guy.