PDA

View Full Version : Dr Who Greatest Sci-fi Character Of All Time?

sarah_webinc
12-27-2002, 10:03 PM
So says the poll: http://uk.news.yahoo.com/021227/4/dhgfy.html

Buffy, LOTR, Star Wars characters and others all beaten by the good doctor...who do you think should be there?

Vick
12-27-2002, 10:06 PM
Zaphod Beeblebrox

sarah_webinc
12-27-2002, 11:12 PM
Vick - a man after my own heart.

TheEnforcer
12-28-2002, 12:40 AM
He was in only 39 of the episodes over 7 seasons of Deep Space Nine but there is no sci-fi character greater than the man who was a "simple tailor" Elim Garak

There is no one in sci-fi who added more intruige, depth, and sheer enjoyment to a show than he.

Watch the episode "In A Pale Moonlight" and see a master in action! Who else could make one of the finest in starfleet act in the following manner??

Elim Garak: That's why you came to me, isn't it, Captain? Because you knew I could do those things that you weren't capable of doing? Well, it worked. And you'll get what you want: a war between the Romulans and the Dominion. And if your conscience is bothering you, you should soothe it with the knowledge that you may have just saved the entire Alpha Quadrant. And all it cost was the life of one Romulan senator, one criminal, and the self-respect of one Starfleet officer. I don't know about you, but I'd call that a bargain.

Captain Sisko: "I lied. I cheated. I bribed men, to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But, the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again...I would. Computer, delete entry." "In the Pale Moonlight"

Bashir: Someone should do a study.
Garak: A study?
Bashir: On why some people can never bring themselves to trust anyone.
Garak: Why is it no one ever believes me even when I'm telling the truth?
Bashir: Have you ever heard the story about the boy who cried wolf?
Garak: No.
Bashir: It's a children's story about a young shepherd boy who gets lonely while tending his flock, so he cries out to the villagers that a wolf is attacking the sheep. The people come running, but of course there's no wolf. He claims that it's run away and the people praise him for his vigilance.
Garak: Clever lad! Charming story.
Bashir: I'm not finished. The next day the boy does it again and the next too. And on the fourth day a wolf really comes. The boy cries out to the top of his lungs, but the villagers ignore him... and the boy and his flock are gobbled up.
Garak: That's a little graphic for children, wouldn't you say?
Bashir: But the point is: if you lie all the time nobody's going to believe you, even when you're telling the truth.
Garak: Are you sure that's the point, doctor?
Bashir: Of course. What else could it be?
Garak: That you should never tell the same lie twice.

Now THAT is one hell of an exchange!!

"Truth is usually just an excuse for lack of imagination." (Deep Space Nine: "Improbable Cause")

Dr. Bashir: "So what things that you told me were the truth?"
Garak: "All of it!"
Dr. Bashir: "Even the lies?"
Garak: "Especially the lies!" (The Wire)

Garak: "... and what I find interesting is how your mind ended up casting me in the role of the villain! [...] To think, after all this time, all our lunches together, you still don't trust me. There's hope for you yet, doctor."
(Distant Voices)

Vick
12-28-2002, 01:19 AM
TE - I'd take Eccentrica Gallumbits over Elim Garak anyday

Did you ever meet her? The triple-breasted whore of Eroticon Six.
Some people say her erogenous zones start some four miles from her actual body.

So Long and Thanks for all the Fish

TheEnforcer
12-28-2002, 01:45 AM
LOL

IMHO Garak is pretty much the best character created for the big or small screen, period!! :okthumb:

Garak makes you THINK!

If I want a sex object I can look at all sorts of shit from anywhere, anytime. But if you find a character, show, or movie that really makes you think as well as enjoy it... well THAT is something special.

It's like a woman. You can find a woman with great tits and ass anywhere. You find one that has that and is also smart, intelligent, and fun to be with.. now THAT is something special.

Dravyk
12-28-2002, 01:48 AM
Thanks, TE. I never realized til now how Cardassian Nickatilynx really is.

TheEnforcer
12-28-2002, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by Dravyk@Dec 28 2002, 01:56 AM
Thanks, TE. I never realized til now how Cardassian Nickatilynx really is.
Hahahaha!!

Almighty Colin
12-28-2002, 05:24 AM
Off the top of my head my favorites are Spock, Yoda, and Q (Star Trek)

Funny that 2 are from Star Trek. I don't really even like Star Trek that much. Haven't watched it in years.

I would guess that's a UK poll and that a US poll would look different.

Almighty Colin
12-28-2002, 05:29 AM
Ok, now I have to watch "Deep Space Nine". That is good stuff.

I used to love the old Twilight Zones and Outer Limits. I love sci fi, but good sci fi flicks are few and far between. It's easier to make a bad one than a good one. It's difficult to properly balance the science and the fiction.

TheEnforcer
12-28-2002, 08:26 AM
Colin,

The Deep Space Nine season DVD box sets start coming out in Feb. The first two seasons are well above average. Once they hit season three and start in with the Dominion and build to the war it is sheer excellance.

:rokk:

TheEnforcer
12-28-2002, 08:27 AM
BTW- You are quite correct that Q is quite an excellent character as well.

sarah_webinc
12-28-2002, 09:22 AM
Love Q..pretty much the best NG creation...with perhaps the exception of Data

ThrobX
12-28-2002, 11:59 AM
Sorry guys, I gotta put in my props for Doctor Who. But only Peter Davison and before (particularly Jon Pertwee). The rest is shite.

:rokk:

Almighty Colin
12-28-2002, 01:58 PM
Yeah, I like Data too. My second fave after Q on Next Generation also.

Almighty Colin
12-28-2002, 01:59 PM
Anyone remember Logan's Run. One of my favorites as a kid. Would love to see a remake.

Last edited by Colin at Dec 28 2002, 02:07 PM

Nickatilynx
12-28-2002, 03:06 PM
Drav,TE

You know its funny cause its true!! LOL

BTW My little bro Technick is still terrified of daleks from Dr.Who.

It seems he was traumatised by some evil bastard (cough) hiding in various places in his bedroom when he was about 10 ,waiting for him to go to sleep and then springing out screaming "Exterminate!".....good times ;)

sarah_webinc
12-28-2002, 05:30 PM
I remember Logan's Run. Well not so much remember because I was too young but rather I have seen it a few times fairly recently. Good flick if weird.

Winetalk.com
12-28-2002, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx@Dec 28 2002, 03:14 PM
Drav,TE

You know its funny cause its true!! LOL

BTW My little bro Technick is still terrified of daleks from Dr.Who.

It seems he was traumatised by some evil bastard (cough) hiding in various places in his bedroom when he was about 10 ,waiting for him to go to sleep and then springing out screaming "Exterminate!".....good times ;)
no wonder Technick is so quite at public gatherings
;-)))

Nickatilynx
12-28-2002, 06:00 PM
Next time you visit , half way through dinner...I'll scream "exterminate".

You'll laugh :)

He is nearly "brad shaw" scared......................nearly. ;)

Ok , so he now has issues because of it.

That just makes me laugh too :)

Winetalk.com
12-28-2002, 06:03 PM
thanks god my sister only bloodied my nose when I was little,
the effects haven't lasted that long...
even though we still don't speak even 'till this day
;-))

Dravyk
12-28-2002, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx@Dec 28 2002, 03:14 PM
Hmmm. To have been trapped in the same house as a child with a budding malevolent presence for a brother :papow: ... Poor, Technick!!! :D

Peaches, anytime someone says Logan's Run, I think "ah, Jenny Agutter nekkid". :biglaugh: Sorry, it's a preprogrammed response. I was a teenage boy at the time of the movie, and to this day it's STILL the only PG-rated movie I know of with nudity in it!

Nickatilynx
12-28-2002, 10:25 PM
Drav,

The bitch is now I have the ability to email him

TO:technick
re:Daleks

EXTERMINATE!!!!

regds,
Nickatilynx

30m times a day :)

Dravyk
12-29-2002, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx@Dec 28 2002, 10:33 PM
Drav,

The bitch is now I have the ability to email him

TO:technick
re:Daleks

EXTERMINATE!!!!

regds,
Nickatilynx

30m times a day :)
LMAO!!! ... Silly Technick! I wonder why he double-opted in so many times??? :gbounce:

Spyce
12-29-2002, 02:32 AM
I gotta go with Q and Data... and the Borg Queen...

-Spyce