PDA

View Full Version : Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

TheEnforcer
12-26-2002, 11:51 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2002/1226/1482617.html

Favre would like to 'go out on top'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Brett Favre hinted Thursday he might be ready for retirement if the Green Bay Packers win the Super Bowl.

The only three-time NFL MVP has been asked several times this season about retirement. The quarterback's response Thursday was the same as usual.

"I have every intention of coming back next year,'' Favre said, but he also took the issue a step further.

"I know the question has been raised, 'What if you won the Super Bowl?''' Favre said. "Well, my response has been and will always be, `I hope I have that decision to make.'

"If we win the Super Bowl, it's not a guarantee that I would retire,'' he said. "But, think about it from my standpoint -- wouldn't you want to go out on top? Sure. Who wouldn't?

"Now, a lot has to happen between now and then, but I have every intention of coming back next year.''

The Packers (12-3) end the regular season against the New York Jets on Sunday. They would gain home-field advantage throughout the NFC playoffs if they beat the Jets and Philadelphia (12-3) loses to the New York Giants on Saturday at Giants Stadium.

Favre, a veteran of 12 NFL seasons, the last 11 with Green Bay, is on the injury report for a second consecutive week, listed as probable. He has experienced soreness in the left knee related to a torn ligament suffered against Washington on Oct. 20. He also has been hobbled by a high ankle sprain at San Francisco on Dec. 15.

Favre said he also has a sore right elbow, an injury he apparently suffered while picking up a few boxes at home Christmas Day following the opening of gifts by his daughters.

"I was so reluctant to go in (to the trainers Thursday) and say, "Look, I did something to my elbow,''' said Favre, for fear of hearing the response, '''Well, how?' 'I was lifting boxes from Christmas gifts.'

"You know, you get a little older, you wake up and you go, 'How in the world did I hurt my ribs?''' the 33-year-old added. "That's kind of the case right now. My knee does bother me from time to time but not enough to keep me from playing. My ankle feels a bit better this week. But, I don't know, it's just one thing after another.''

Mike AI
12-27-2002, 02:29 AM
I am a huge Farve fan, but if he wins the SuperBowl - I think he should retire. There is something amazing about going out on top!!

cj
12-27-2002, 03:39 AM
TE, you forgot to add a warning to your post

A FOOTBALL ICON!!!!!

serge is gonna kick your ass!

:D :P

Almighty Colin
12-27-2002, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by Mike AI@Dec 27 2002, 02:37 AM
I am a huge Farve fan, but if he wins the SuperBowl - I think he should retire. There is something amazing about going out on top!!
So true. Then people will always say .. "Just imagine if he had played longer!" Jim Brown is a great example of a guy going out on top. Much better than being remembered as a broken down warrior struggling to hang on to former glory. Who wants to see that?

voodooman
12-27-2002, 09:22 AM
TE,

Dont worry, he said he would retire if the Packers win
the super bowl.

Dont look for him to retire anytime soon.

:nyanya:

heshy
12-27-2002, 09:40 AM
Breen Bay has no shot of getting past Phila!!!!!!!

H

Vick
12-27-2002, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by heshy@Dec 27 2002, 09:48 AM

Psssst ... The Packers have never lost a game at Lambeau field with Farve at Quarterback when the temperature is 34 or below - so home field means a lot on the playoffs

Would also like to see Farve go out on top

Even though I am not a Dan Marino fan it was a tragedy to watch his last 2 seasons :( particularly the last playoff game he played in when he basically begged Jimmy Johnson to let him stay in the game

I would like to see Tampa Bay and Green Bay hook it up in the playoffs at Lambeau

Tomorow's Philly vs. Giant's game has a lot riding on it

TheEnforcer
12-27-2002, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Mike AI@Dec 27 2002, 02:37 AM
Oh man.. I know what you are saying Mike and I agree to a point but I'm hoping that the allure of getting the chance to try and do it back-to-back might induce him to stay. He's one of the least concerned people about records and such but I know it sticks in his craw that we didn't win the Super Bowl against the Broncos after beating New England the year before. Going out with a Super Bowl win would be great but going out with back to back wins would be incredible!! :rokk:

Plus, if he retired the Packers would take a HUGE cap hit and I don't believe he'll do that to them but the lure of retirement after a Super Bowl win would be big.

TheEnforcer
12-27-2002, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by cj@Dec 27 2002, 03:47 AM
TE, you forgot to add a warning to your post

A FOOTBALL ICON!!!!!

serge is gonna kick your ass!

:D :P
Hehehe.. somebody added a football note for me.

Plus.. you can't expect an icon from me when I'm facing such a HUGE loss. I may not believe in God but damn it I believe in the Green bay Packers!! There is a reason the pastors in the Green Bay area schedule their masses around Packer games!! :okthumb:

TheEnforcer
12-27-2002, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by voodooman@Dec 27 2002, 09:30 AM
TE,

Dont worry, he said he would retire if the Packers win
the super bowl.

Dont look for him to retire anytime soon.

:nyanya:
Hahaha. Thanks VooDoo!!

He really hasn't slipped in terms of his ability yet. I believe he could play another 2-3 years after this season before starting to go downhill.

TheEnforcer
12-27-2002, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Vick+Dec 27 2002, 10:54 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Vick @ Dec 27 2002, 10:54 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--heshy@Dec 27 2002, 09:48 AM

Psssst ... The Packers have never lost a game at Lambeau field with Farve at Quarterback when the temperature is 34 or below - so home field means a lot on the playoffs

Would also like to see Farve go out on top

Even though I am not a Dan Marino fan it was a tragedy to watch his last 2 seasons :( particularly the last playoff game he played in when he basically begged Jimmy Johnson to let him stay in the game

I would like to see Tampa Bay and Green Bay hook it up in the playoffs at Lambeau

Tomorow's Philly vs. Giant's game has a lot riding on it[/b][/quote]
Amen Vick!! I was getting phone call updates from my sister while doing by Christmas shopping on Monday Night and was going nuts cause I couldn't watch the game cause I had to get my shopping done. So glad Pittsburgh beat Tampa. Now I'm hoping for a Giants win tomorrow!!

Favre is 34-0 when the game time temerature is 34 or below at Lambeau Field and we have NEVER lost a playoff game at Lambeau at ANY time in our history!!

T-Rav
12-27-2002, 11:11 AM
I'd like to see him go out on top as well. I've noticed its tough for competitors like Favre to leave the sport. We'll see what happens.