PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Sitcom Of All Time...

theone
12-13-2002, 03:00 PM
My award goes to Sanford & Son

Nickatilynx
12-13-2002, 03:06 PM
Fawlty Towers.

Sharpie
12-13-2002, 03:13 PM
The Archie Bunker series.

Mike AI
12-13-2002, 03:13 PM
It seems every decade or so there is a great sitcom oe 2.

All in the Family, The Cosby Show, Seinfield are all classics.

I love Sanford and Son too - You big Dummy!!

There was not much political correctness back then!

Menace
12-13-2002, 03:38 PM
The Young Ones

SykkBoy
12-13-2002, 03:40 PM
Get A Life

Chris Elliot is a comedy God

Monk
12-13-2002, 03:44 PM
Yes, Cabin Boy was a classic.... not!!! I love Chris Elliot when he was on David Letterman though.

I can't speak for earlier-era shows, but Seinfeld is without a doubt my favourite.

Nickatilynx
12-13-2002, 03:45 PM
The Young Ones was brilliant too.

SykkBoy
12-13-2002, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Monk@Dec 13 2002, 03:52 PM
Yes, Cabin Boy was a classic.... not!!! I love Chris Elliot when he was on David Letterman though.

I can't speak for earlier-era shows, but Seinfeld is without a doubt my favourite.
Actually, cabin Boy is one of my favorite movies :)
nothing like a tobacco spitting cupcake to get me rolling......

I agree, The Young Ones was funnier than hell....the guy who played Vivian is married to Josie Lawrence from the Brit version of "Whose Line Is It Anyways"

I would kick so much ass on Pointless Trivia Jeopardy ;)))

Nickatilynx
12-13-2002, 04:00 PM
I thought he married Jennifer Saunders......

Nickatilynx
12-13-2002, 04:08 PM
Sykk,

""Jennifer is married to the comedian Adrian Edmondson who played in the BBC comedy series 'The Young Ones' and 'Bottom' with Rik Mayall. ""

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/Detai...436/moduleid-38 (http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/DetailsServlet/epid-0/showid-0/personid-22436/moduleid-38)

:nyanya:

SykkBoy
12-13-2002, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx@Dec 13 2002, 04:08 PM
I thought he married Jennifer Saunders......
currently, yes

they married in 1985........

er, nevermind, checked my facts......
it was Saunders in 1985...........
damn meds acting up again...

ok, so I would be Keanu Reeves on the Celebirty Edition of Pointless Trivia Jeopardy ;)))))))

SykkBoy
12-13-2002, 04:12 PM
Ab Fab
Whose Line

all the Brits look alike to me ;)))

Nickatilynx
12-13-2002, 04:14 PM
Ab Fab
Whose Line

all the Brits look alike to me ;)))

But they do have natural rythme

:yowsa: :yowsa: :yowsa:

Dianna Vesta
12-13-2002, 04:46 PM
Married with Children - I can watch re-runs over and over and it still cracks me up.

I like Ab fab too but it wasn't consistant and hard to find on the tube.

:inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:
:inlove::gbounce: :inlove: :inlove:
:inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

LOl- Playing around. Does anyone remember having to make ansi graphics?

Vick
12-13-2002, 04:55 PM
All in the Family - was ground breaking
First on air toilet flush and first on air full frontal male nudity (baby joey)
There was no political correctness then (and it was a better world for it), they were the first to tackle social issues - for better or worse

M*A*S*H - also ground breaking
Set in the Korean war the TV show was probably more about the Vietnam war than Korea
Did much to shape (for good or bad) a generations views on war

Married with Children - pushed the limits of bad taste ... and bless them for it - I'm still a member of NO MA'AM he he he
Christina Applegate as Kelly was only second to Nikki Cox (short lived Happily Ever After) as the hottest girl on sitcom TV

Since I don't watch TV often I know there are others I'm missing - these were the first off the top of my head

mojobill
12-13-2002, 05:25 PM
Dayum Vick... those three were exactly what I was gonna type.... ;-)

well.. I'd add Star Trek.. just cuz...

ulfie
12-13-2002, 05:25 PM
All In The Family has to be my favorite. It was my grandparents in reverse. My grandfather loved everyone and my grandmother was the bigot. I still watch the reruns on Nick at Nite and laugh my ass off. Every episode reminds me of stuff that happened at their house so I guess it's why I love that show so much. You don't realize how much you miss your grandparents until they aren't around anymore.

TheEnforcer
12-13-2002, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx@Dec 13 2002, 03:14 PM
Fawlty Towers.
"She go crazy!!" :okthumb:

triplab1
12-14-2002, 03:35 AM
watching cheers drinking beers right now :stout:

Mutt
12-14-2002, 04:18 AM
man it just shows you how hard it is to create something special. TV has been around for 50 years, think of the thousands of pilots made and those that actually got a shot on the air - and the best i can come up with is the same small group of ones that everybody else is saying - MASH, Cheers, All in the Family,

i loved Get A Life but it ain't in the class of the others people are mentioning. The problem with sitcoms is that they go on too long, plus they go into syndication so you can't avoid them - so shows that I loved for a few years, like Cheers, i begin to loathe. I think for about 3 or 4 years you couldn't write a better sitcom than MASH - but you couldn't pay me right now to sit through a MASH rerun - I'm MASHED out, , i'll prolly rediscover it in the future.

here's one that nobody mentioned - 'Taxi'. I loved that show, Danny DeVito as Louie DePalma was incredible, i'm laughing right now remembering one scene in particular.

And i grew up watching Leave it to Beaver reruns every noon, something about that show still fascinates me, that 50's America look and feel, the mom dressed immaculately every day wearing pearls to do housework, the understanding father, the innocent trouble the Beave and the rest of the kids would get into. Post war baby boom years America always fascinates me.

There are other old shows i never saw first run that I really have liked. Sgt Bilko used to play late at night where we had a summer cottage, i watched it with my Dad and it was a funny funny show. Munsters and Addams Family are so kitschy, so off the wall, that i really enjoyed them too. Get Smart could be brilliant, not hard to see why when Mel Brooks and Buck Henry created it.

Ok, everybody forgot a show that in junior high and high school was definitely my favorite show. It played during lunch hour so a bunch of us would go to one guy's whose parents both worked. house, get high and watch Hogan's Heroes. One of my best friends, did uncanny Hogan Heroes imitations. The best was his Colonel Burkholder. Makes me sad, my friend died almost 4 years ago now, only 33, a lawyer with 4 kids under 6 years of age.

Almighty Colin
12-14-2002, 08:27 AM
Seinfeld
Cheers
Taxi

MikeFold
12-14-2002, 09:47 AM
If you're asking, what show did you "Have To Get Home and Watch"
(before the advent of TIVO and VHS Tapes) there was one in the early 80's I just can't remember the name of. I think it was the lead in for MNF.

Although I watched most of the list in syndication, I am in agreement with most of these (All In The Family, Hogans Heroes, Taxi, Married With Children, Cheers, M*A*S*H*), and given the "younger age" of this group, I am a little surprised The Larry Sanders Show isn't on the list.

Oddly enough, I am not a Sienfeld fan Colin....don't know why.

Winetalk.com
12-14-2002, 10:06 AM
youngs.....
how can you possibly not mention
"Honeymooners"?
;-))

Mutt
12-14-2002, 10:06 AM
DOH! Fold is right.........how could i have forgot The Larry Sanders Show HEY NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

and also Shandling's show that came before that one - This Is The Gary Shandling Show - it was pretty brilliant too.

JFK
12-14-2002, 12:48 PM
Married with Children is one of my favorites, or if you like British humour , Beny Hill, or Blackadder.

Mike AI
12-14-2002, 01:02 PM
Honeymooners is another classic - I remember watching it on PBS when I was young with my dad.... re-runs!

To the Moon!!! :bdance:

ulfie
12-14-2002, 01:10 PM
My all-time favorite is the simpsons. Can't forget them.

Sharpie
12-14-2002, 04:20 PM
Not one person here mentioned the sitcom that ranked right up there with the Honeymooners................... I Love LUCY - It was on Sat nights, just before the Saturday Night Fights, sponsored by Gillette. Anyone remember that? Of course, that was black and white vintage TV.

Ironhorse
12-14-2002, 05:06 PM
Had to be Soap!

sarettah
12-14-2002, 09:56 PM
My favorite was...

My Mother The Car

followed by "Car 54" and then "It's about Time"

:)

Nickatilynx
12-14-2002, 10:35 PM
Had to be Soap!

Forgot about Soap!! LOL

Great show :)

MikeFold
12-14-2002, 11:51 PM
Soap...thats the one i was trying to remember

"I'm Invisible"

Mutt
12-15-2002, 01:16 AM
Honeymooners................you're right, classic, still funny 45 years later.

The one thing I always wondered about while watching the Honeymooners
is that the Kramdens and the Nortons appeared to be living in a tenament.
I'm not even sure they had their own phone, i remember they shared a phone I think. Plus the apartment was incredibly bleak looking and small, there was the kitchen where most of the show happened, and a small bedroom.

Ralph was a bus driver for the city of New York. Not a rich guy obviously but a good steady job. And Norton worked for the Sewage Department.
I think people like that would have lived in better surroundings.

But the look of the show was cool, the opening credits of the Honeymooners with the big band music is very cool.

Gleason was a genius.

Is Art Carney still alive? I don't remember him dying but something tells me he is dead cuz i haven't heard anything about him in years.

The old black and white shows are treasures, glad most of them survived and they'll be around for future generations to see. There is a quality to black and white that is so different than color, i'd like to see some new movies made in black and white. Scorsese made Raging Bull in B & W, beautiful looking film, Woody Allen did Broadway Danny Rose in B & W. I'd like to see it done more.

Vick
12-15-2002, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by Mutt@Dec 15 2002, 01:24 AM
the opening credits of the Honeymooners with the big band music is very cool.
The June Taylor Dancers :yowsa:

I have the feeling we are still forgetting a few shows but none are coming to mind

marty
12-15-2002, 10:50 AM
BOTTOM!!

:barfon:

http://www.fortunecity.com/lavendar/hawkslane/231/europe2.jpg

Gold, Frankenstein, and Grrr...

DrGuile
12-15-2002, 11:21 AM
Seinfeld, without a doubt (although Im too young to know most of the ones you mentioned).

Why? Because the characters arent lovable. They're horrible human beings... gotta love that :)

DrGuile is getting upset!

SykkBoy
12-15-2002, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Mutt@Dec 15 2002, 01:24 AM
Is Art Carney still alive? I don't remember him dying but something tells me he is dead cuz i haven't heard anything about him in years.

http://us.imdb.com/Name?Carney,+Art

Still alive, just hasn't worked much recently.

gigi
12-15-2002, 11:29 PM
I loved Gilligan's Island as a kid.....still do when I actually catch it on which is rare...

Mr. Roarke
12-16-2002, 11:53 AM
Happy Days, Welcome Back Kotter, and Good Times. Sanford & Son had the best theme music.

Danny_C
12-16-2002, 03:53 PM
Diff'rent Strokes and What's Happenin'... hands down!

Ironhorse
12-16-2002, 03:59 PM
How about Laverne and Shirley?