PDA

View Full Version : Vod – Content & Upsell

Dianna Vesta
12-05-2002, 02:34 PM
I’ve been discussing various plugins with my programmers for both audio/stories/pics packages and video- video is full featured with all the shit cut out. The plugin allows webmasters to select categories or plans where they pick the type of content they want to serve.

As a webmaster which scenario would you elect:

1) You choose two categories – Amateur & Gay – You’re charge a flat fee until you’ve reach your bandwidth limit and over course you pay overage. It’s free to your customers as long as they stream it from your site.
2) Same as above except the subscriber can download the audio or video. They can play it on their PC only for a few times free (no number set yet) after the set free period they can purchase it to play unlimited and you receive a % of that sale.

3) You, the webmaster can select any plugin for free to add to your site. There are free samples added weekly, however the visitor of your site can download videos or audios, and however they pay for them. You get the free content and a % of the sale. The can rent the videos or buy them. They stay on their PC unless they delete them.

4) Buy a whole package as content and add it to your server. You can purchase updates as part of a subscription.

Which would you choose?

Mutt
12-05-2002, 02:50 PM
they all might work Diana.

there are lots of cheapo webmasters who will take the option where they get free plugin, their members get some free sample video but most of it is upsell.

others will want the plugin where they pay a flat fee(based on membership count) plus the upsells as a bonus.

crowded market though, tough selling. but if you're niche and the content is quality i'm sure you'll have some success.

Almighty Colin
12-05-2002, 02:55 PM
I would choose 3

Dianna Vesta
12-05-2002, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Mutt@Dec 5 2002, 02:58 PM
they all might work Diana.

there are lots of cheapo webmasters who will take the option where they get free plugin, their members get some free sample video but most of it is upsell.

others will want the plugin where they pay a flat fee(based on membership count) plus the upsells as a bonus.

crowded market though, tough selling. but if you're niche and the content is quality i'm sure you'll have some success.
Thanks guys.

Mutt I agree but what do you think is the most popular?

Here's my take...

The price of leased galleries has come down, this is true, however leased solutions are still attractive to companies that want all the cool plugins because it's easy and directly cost them no bandwidth or they don't have to worry about monitoring it. The downside of these galleries is that even though they say they update them often I have not ever found a plugin that was really updated as often as they said. Have you?

If buying out was an option as opposed to paying 399.00 per month for the same stuff over and over, then I'd buy. If it was in fact updated weekly or even bi-weekly this gives me fresh content for my site and is worth the monthly lease.

Yes, my focus is niche- primarily bdsm, fetish, hardcore kink, femdom - however forbiddengarden is amatuer, solo, fetish, gay and hardcore.

Hardcore for me need more nasty or a little twist.

Mutt
12-05-2002, 04:54 PM
you're right, many, if not most, plugins are not updated.

the option to buy the content and do it yourself is good but I fear not too many will do it - cuz i'm assuming the price of all the content in your plugin will not be something cheap like $299. Webmasters by and large are cheap, even the ones who have loads of money.

Here's a thought, combine both options - Lease to Buy, figure out a price per month price where at the end of some period the webmaster has paid for it all in full. Never seen it done before. Dunno if it would work.

I don't think it's going to work out well for you if the big majority of your customers take the free option - i don't think your upsells will be enough to make you happy. Though .......... AEBN works this way ........ so it would seem that it is working out for them........but they also have the option to lease their feeds for a flat fee. Wonder which one makes them more money. The good thing about the free plugin is that you will get more exposure, with bandwidth prices so cheap now, it won't break you.

I'd do like AEBN.............free plugin with upsell commission ...and the leased plugin. Just be careful not to give away too much in the free plugin.

Dianna Vesta
12-05-2002, 04:57 PM
AEBN has old outdated movies. The catagories are all wrong. They have cool features.

I know what you're saying. Thank you so much for your thoughts and ideas.