PDA

View Full Version : The Politically Correct Lords Of Toronto

Almighty Colin
12-05-2002, 01:10 PM
Too politically correct?

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article....RTICLE_ID=29870 (http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=29870)

The Canadian museum currently displaying an ancient box purported to be the ossuary of Jesus' brother James is no longer using the Christian designations of B.C. and A.D. to mark the calendar, opting instead for more "modern and palatable" terms ... To use 'the year of our Lord' is also quite insensitive to huge populations in Toronto who have other lords.

Phoenix
12-05-2002, 02:54 PM
yeah we go a little overboard with our politically correct crap...
when i was going to guelph we often laughed that it was almost like a witch-hunt the politically correct police would steal into your home at night and arrest you...lol

ah well...i say try to be nice to everyone...it's harder to say something mean if you are being genuinely nice to people

Almighty Colin
12-05-2002, 02:57 PM
I'm an atheist and AD is just fine with me. Why should I be offended? And hell - most Christians probably think AD means "After death" and not "Anno Domini" anyway.

gigi
12-05-2002, 02:58 PM
C.E. and B.C.E. are not all that new....it doesn't surprise me that they use those instead of B.C. and A.D. ....being 'The Mosaic' that Canada is, it makes sense.

gigi
12-05-2002, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Colin@Dec 5 2002, 03:05 PM
I'm an atheist and AD is just fine with me. Why should I be offended? And hell - most Christians probably think AD means "After death" and not "Anno Domini" anyway.
Yeah, that one always killed me Colin.....how could AD mean 'after death'? that would put 1AD 33 years after 1BC...what would you call the 32 years of Christ's life?? lol

I'm not so sure it's about not offending people....IMHO, it's just about moving on with the times...

Almighty Colin
12-05-2002, 03:02 PM
What's in a name? I'll call people whatever they want out of respect but these things always get silly.

For example - "Indian" is now "Native American" even though America was named after Italian
Amerigo Vespucci.

Well, anyway - just call me dirty white boy.

Almighty Colin
12-05-2002, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by gigi@Dec 5 2002, 03:08 PM
I'm not so sure it's about not offending people....IMHO, it's just about moving on with the times...
"To use 'the year of our Lord' is also quite insensitive to huge populations in Toronto who have other lords."

gigi
12-05-2002, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Colin+Dec 5 2002, 03:11 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Colin @ Dec 5 2002, 03:11 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--gigi@Dec 5 2002, 03:08 PM
"To use 'the year of our Lord' is also quite insensitive to huge populations in Toronto who have other lords."[/b][/quote]
Yeah, and I think the motivation should be more just changing with the times....oh well...

gigi
12-05-2002, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Colin@Dec 5 2002, 03:10 PM
"Indian" is now "Native American" even though America was named after Italian Amerigo Vespucci.

Interesting...I didn't know that about the naming of America. ...lol

Here in Canada, it's now gone from 'Native Canadian' to 'First Nations'.

Reason being the term 'Native' has negative connotations (which I agree to a point)....I hope they stop there though....I hate having to keep up with the changes. :awinky:

Almighty Colin
12-05-2002, 03:22 PM
What's the term for a black person in Europe? How about in Japan? Are there African Japanese?

gigi
12-05-2002, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Colin@Dec 5 2002, 03:30 PM
What's the term for a black person in Europe? How about in Japan? Are there African Japanese?
Very true....I wonder what the answers are...