PDA

View Full Version : What Are Everyones View On Title Nine Sports

voodooman
12-01-2002, 08:24 PM
Im going to have a bounty on my head after this post, but oh well.

Women are going to be the demise of sports.

They have a Title Nine that was enacted in 1972 to try to
get more sports related fields, for women.
While more and more women are now participating in
sports (sorry vick) in college programs, more and more
mens sports are closing down.
They say that they should let women participate in
mens sports if they want to, but they will not allow
men to try out for a womens team (dont know why
you would want to but).

There are currently NO wrestling programs college in the whole
state of Utah, and only 20 gymnastics colleges left in
the nation.

Most of the olympic sports have been dropped from colleges
because they are considered Minor Attendence Sports,
and they dont draw the money and crowd of football.

Thoughts Anyone?

voodooman
12-01-2002, 11:01 PM
Soooooo, I guess Im not in trouble with the girls.

:)

Maybe nobody knows what Im talking about, or
think Im just nuts.

:moon:

*KK*
12-02-2002, 01:42 AM
I'd say the Tennessee Vols womens basketball record is a perfect example of how your theory works! ;)

sextoyking
12-02-2002, 01:46 AM
I support title 9!!!!

ulfie
12-02-2002, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by sextoyking@Dec 2 2002, 01:54 AM
I support title 9!!!!
All good liberals do. :biglaugh:

Opti
12-02-2002, 04:56 AM
I am assuming a title 9 is some sort of incentive program to get instituations to develop women's sport programs..

If after thirty years the program hasn't already created it's own market of people interested in watching and sponsoring women's sport then it sounds like it isn't ever going to be a self supporting model.

That's interesting what you say about Olympic sports Voo... If you are right and USA is slipping backward in elite sports then I bet this becomes a big issue in 2004... I can't see American's sitting back and watching the Chinese gloating.. the propoganda coup could even be enough to give them confidence to start a fight with Taiwan.. (r-n.. I sound like a doomsday merchant eh?!)

The Chinese will consider beating the US team in Beijing as something of vital importance.. I bet their sports programs are ramped up 100's of times more than usual too..

cj
12-02-2002, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by voodooman@Dec 1 2002, 08:32 PM
Im going to have a bounty on my head after this post, but oh well.

Women are going to be the demise of sports.

They have a Title Nine that was enacted in 1972 to try to
get more sports related fields, for women.
While more and more women are now participating in
sports (sorry vick) in college programs, more and more
mens sports are closing down.
They say that they should let women participate in
mens sports if they want to, but they will not allow
men to try out for a womens team (dont know why
you would want to but).

There are currently NO wrestling programs college in the whole
state of Utah, and only 20 gymnastics colleges left in
the nation.

Most of the olympic sports have been dropped from colleges
because they are considered Minor Attendence Sports,
and they dont draw the money and crowd of football.

Thoughts Anyone?
voodoo, I don't really understand completely ... are you saying that because of support to womens sports, mens sports are closing down?

don't worry, I'm not going to lynch you ;-)
I think I agree with you, but would like to understand better what you are trying to say ...

voodooman
12-02-2002, 06:27 AM
cj,

Thats exactly right.

They are saying that most money from their budgets goto
High Profile Sports, i.e. Football, with the Title 9 role,
they schools MUST by law provide atheletics for women
as well as men, so what money is left goes to say, womens
vollyboll, intstead of mens wrestling, so they close the
mens wrestling down completely.

This really isnt a big deal, with the exception that they dont
even have PRO womens vollyball, or any other sport besides
olympic sports (which really are not supposed to be pros)
and womens basketball.

cj
12-02-2002, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by voodooman@Dec 2 2002, 06:35 AM
cj,

Thats exactly right.

They are saying that most money from their budgets goto
High Profile Sports, i.e. Football, with the Title 9 role,
they schools MUST by law provide atheletics for women
as well as men, so what money is left goes to say, womens
vollyboll, intstead of mens wrestling, so they close the
mens wrestling down completely.

This really isnt a big deal, with the exception that they dont
and womens basketball.
womens volleyball is probably a bad example, because its one of the only womens sports in the world which gets any coverage. actually, maybe that's just an australian thing, its a really popular sport here.

Our largest breakfast cereal company sponsors our Australian Womens Volleyball team, who won the last olympic medal, as does a large car company and lots of other profile sponsors. I got the same impression that womens volleyball was popular in usa, especially california ??

Ok, so its not a 'pro' sport, that brings profit from showing 10 games a week ... but neither is equestrian or show horse events - these are all sports that operate on 'clubs' with 'championships' and 'world championships' etc.

Just like swimming ... there is no 'pro' swimming, but there are competitions on all the time around the world, with good enough profits off tv rights worldwide.

I have always maintained that I don't believe women should be given advantages just because they are women, but there's lots of ways to look at it.

1) how will womens sports ever take off if they arent given money to get going?

but, they've had 30 years, is that long enough?

2) Because mens sports have had so much of a head start, womens sports need a little favoritism, to give the chance of an even playing field.

but, at what cost? the cost of *more* popular mens sports?

Do you have an example of a mans sport which has had to be closed down due to funding going to a womans team?

I find it hard to believe that any mens sport which was worthy of keeping would be eliminated by a womens sport that wasn't a better opportunity for profit ... or are feminists really that powerful over there???!!

Dianna Vesta
12-02-2002, 07:39 AM
I'm not awake yet but want to make comment. Things have been very busy around here.

I beleive it should be fair and for many moons it was not.

>>>This really isnt a big deal, with the exception that they dont
and womens basketball. >>>>

Perhaps there isn't yet. Even male pro sports have come a long way through the decades. I think you're seeing a transitional period where competitive sports adopts more activities and redefines others. I personally would like to see more growth in women’s sports. I’m not much of a spectator, however I think it’s good for our whole consciousness towards women’s equality.

Almighty Colin
12-02-2002, 08:25 AM
Extremely gray areas.

Should women be permitted to play in men's sports? On the one hand, the idea of equal opportunity for everyone is an important direction that society has moved and looks like it will continue to move. Many people made arguments against women being permitted into traditional men's schools for example. I know that women were not permitted into Yale as undergrads until 1969. In retrospect it seemed silly to not admit women but at the time it was a hotly contested question. Opposition was so strong in 1951 when it was first considered that the question was dropped.

People always worry about what might happen but seldom is the reality equal to the fear.
What happened at Yale is that there were suddenly twice as many applicants and therefor the school could be more selective. This increased the quality of the applicants. Not to mention the advantages of the diversity of a student body. By 1972, the school had instituted sex-blind admissions. Today, there are more women than men.

This debate occured more recently with the question of whether military academies had the right to have a male only-acceptance policy.

So what are the fears regarding women playing in men's sports? What if the best female basketball player tried out and made the NBA? What would happen? Besides having to build separate locker rooms, what are the issues? The issue ot pregnancy would probably be a huge issue. There would be a risk of a female athlete getting pregnant. Then what? If basketball teams consider risk and reward like insurance companies, they could quite naturally conclude that female athletes should make 10% below market value because 10% of female basketball players turn out to get pregnant. Well, here's a question. Have any WBA players become pregnant?

I don't have an opinion on Title 9. I think market forces do a fair enough job at deciding which
sports schools should or should not continue. On the other hand, sometimes pushing things a little in a direction creates a new market. Who should ultimately decide whether a new market gets a push or not? NCAA, individual schools, the government? Tough question.

Deeper. What do we mean when we say "We want equality"? Why do we want it? What has made us decide that equality is what we want or that it is best for society? Why have we changed? Equality is a fairly new and somewhat radical idea for societies to take on. What does it really mean? Equal opportunity? Unequal opportunity? Why is this idea so important as to come to the forefront of modern thought but not ancient?