PDA

View Full Version : Suicide

Peaches
11-26-2002, 11:50 AM
I wonder how much $$$ went into keep this guy from being executed?

http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/metro/110...26williams.html (http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/metro/1102/26williams.html)

Winetalk.com
11-26-2002, 11:53 AM
I'm happy the currect first lady doesn't waste her time on the activities Mrs Carter does...

Cal
11-26-2002, 12:20 PM
Want to compare the cost of Carter's trips around the world to the hundreds of executions (and appeal processes) in TX while Bush was gov?

:rolleyes:

C.

-= JR =-
11-26-2002, 12:26 PM
i once argued in psychology class that suicide made perfect sense for anyone who felt like taking the big plunge.

if we are a society that respects others religious beliefs, then we have to respect athiesm. if someone does not believe in God, Heaven or Hell then there is really little holding them back. On the cosmic timeline, our existence is so insignificant that it our life cannot be measured. You certainly wont be immortalized at Bob the Network Adminstrator... so you may decide to check out early.

people got understandably emotional in class and a few girls began yelling at me that it was the most selfish thing a person could do. i asked why and got the usual answer of hurting friends, family and loved ones.

..so then came the next obvious question. who is really being selfish? the ones who cant respect your decision to jump face first into a wood chipper... or the one who does it? whose decision is it? should one person be forced to live 80 more miserable years out of fear of offending someone or making someone else upset?

i am pro suicide.

billions of lemmings cant be wrong.
:bdance:

mojobill
11-26-2002, 12:27 PM
he believed actress Sigourney Weaver was God and spoke to him.

She's NOT?

Cal
11-26-2002, 12:30 PM
I am pro anything that keeps our populations low.

Excluding genocide and natural disasters. Everything else is just evolution baby!

C.

Nickatilynx
11-26-2002, 12:37 PM
Excluding genocide and natural disasters

Natural disasters are vital to population control.They are after all Natural :)

Peaches
11-26-2002, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by -= JR =-@Nov 26 2002, 01:34 PM
i am pro suicide.

billions of lemmings cant be wrong.
:bdance:
I personally think that if you want to die, you get to die - period. I know if I'm EVER diagnosed with a fatal disease or Alheizimer's, I'm pulling the trigger!

I just wish this moron had let everyone know of his death wish (or at least killed himself) BEFORE all the state's money was spent on his appeals for execution :angry:

Cal
11-26-2002, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx@Nov 26 2002, 09:45 AM
Excluding genocide and natural disasters

Natural disasters are vital to population control.They are after all Natural :)
I don't like them because there's a chance they might wipe out important people. I'm pro-evolution so I want to make sure the smart, strong, and useful survive. Everyone else is expendable. Who knows, there could be a few geniuses on the Yangtze River every year when it floods and kills 100,000+ people.

C.

gigi
11-26-2002, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Cal@Nov 26 2002, 01:42 PM
Who knows, there could be a few geniuses on the Yangtze River every year when it floods and kills 100,000+ people.
Well, it won't be 'natural' then 'cause they are opening the dam in a year or two..lol...they have been planning it for a while now and have markers showing how high the water will go at a given time.

hehehehehe

:nyanya:

Cal
11-26-2002, 03:05 PM
Really? Thank God, I hope that they can save some of those poor bastards who die every year. I heard a story about it in 2001 or so and it was tragic. They come there because there is nowhere else to go (to farm rice) and then every year almost a hundred thousand people die when it floods. They know it's coming, they just have nowhere else to go, and China can't control it with their military and relief efforts. Hard to believe that in this world things like this can still happen YEARLY.

C.

gigi
11-26-2002, 03:15 PM
I had no idea it flooded that badly, that's horrible! I only knew that the gov was opening the dam over the next several years because they want to produce more electricity. For a communist country they sure are getting the hang of commerce. ;)

I posted this before, but my mom and dad got back from China not too long ago and they told me that at the airport, they were selling models of the US spy plane that went down last year.

I think China is truly an example of a 'new' breed of communism.....very strange indeed.

Cal
11-26-2002, 03:56 PM
China isn't really Communist, it's more fascist. You can more closely compare China to Italy, Germany, and other 1940s fascist governments. They control the media and the flow of information, yet they allow capitalism in certain areas, and have a thriving import/export trade. They tell you how to live but you don't necessarily get benefits to justify it, like in some of the Scandinavian countries.

I read a good article talking about it, and they made a few points I've forgotten, but it did make sense. China's government is a small close-knit group of self-congratulating fascists. They do it under the guise of Communism but based on our trade status with them I don't think they're fooling anyone.

C.

gigi
11-26-2002, 04:13 PM
LOL....excellent point Cal....reminds me of what my parents told me when they visited Tiananmen Square...when visitors asked about the massacre, the tour guides said 'We don't talk about that.' .....the end.

But China is growing in leaps and bounds....I think the will be a power to be reckoned with soon enough....scary thought. :(

Edd
11-26-2002, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by gigi@Nov 26 2002, 04:21 PM
But China is growing in leaps and bounds....I think the will be a power to be reckoned with soon enough....scary thought. :(
Ask Colin and Wig - its all about Cycles... And things are on the "up" again for China... Back when our ancestors were rotting in the rat-infested plague-riddled squallor of the Dark Ages the Chinese had THE premiere "society" running STRONG. Another several hundred years and there's a good chance the whole planet will be speaking Chinese! :wnw:

Cal
11-26-2002, 05:06 PM
Don't you wish! Asiaphile.

C.

Edd
11-26-2002, 05:18 PM
hey I can't help it Cal, I'd sell my soul for Lucy Lui! <_< :eninja:

China WILL again be a world power - just wait...

"he say you braderunna..."

"you got girlfriend vietnam?"

gigi
11-26-2002, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Edd+Nov 26 2002, 04:50 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Edd @ Nov 26 2002, 04:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--gigi@Nov 26 2002, 04:21 PM
Ask Colin and Wig - its all about Cycles... And things are on the "up" again for China... Back when our ancestors were rotting in the rat-infested plague-riddled squallor of the Dark Ages the Chinese had THE premiere "society" running STRONG. Another several hundred years and there's a good chance the whole planet will be speaking Chinese! :wnw:[/b][/quote]
Well, I'm a little ahead of the game then...I took Mandarin at night school several years back...hehe....damn hard language to learn...and very humbling when they are teaching you from a kindergarten Chinese book. :blink:

Now, all I have to do is figure out how to live another couple of hundred years.... :huh:

Last edited by gigi at Nov 26 2002, 06:02 PM

gigi
11-26-2002, 05:55 PM
And BTW, sorry for highjacking your suicide thread peaches...you know I love you. :inlove: :)

Peaches
11-26-2002, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by gigi@Nov 26 2002, 07:03 PM
And BTW, sorry for highjacking your suicide thread peaches...you know I love you. :inlove: :)
Blah, blah, blah....... :biglaugh:

But, since we're on the subject of dams :awinky: here's something that I personally found very interesting a month or so ago in National Geographic:
According to NASA, all the dams in the world are actually slowing down the earth's rotation! Of course, I can't find the issue (after not being able to donate 30+ years of the damn things to ANYONE, I toss them now) to get the specifics, but that just freaked me out :blink:

gigi
11-26-2002, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Peaches+Nov 26 2002, 06:11 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Peaches @ Nov 26 2002, 06:11 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--gigi@Nov 26 2002, 07:03 PM
Blah, blah, blah....... :biglaugh:

But, since we're on the subject of dams :awinky: here's something that I personally found very interesting a month or so ago in National Geographic:
According to NASA, all the dams in the world are actually slowing down the earth's rotation! Of course, I can't find the issue (after not being able to donate 30+ years of the damn things to ANYONE, I toss them now) to get the specifics, but that just freaked me out :blink:[/b][/quote]
That's bizarre! There are so many things humans are doing that mess with earth and it's surroundings....

Like screwing with the moon. I don't care what anyone says, change it even slightly with little 'moon stations' or screwing with that big ice chunk they found on the 'dark side' and we're just asking for trouble....

LadyLaw
11-26-2002, 06:49 PM
Dear Peaches:

On the suicide topic....I was PISSED as hell when just 10 days after 9/11/2001, Attorney General John Ashcroft stuck his BIG FAT FACE into the Oregon assisted suicide law and declared it illegal under Federal law. The Oregon law allowed assisted suicide when someone is terminal, i.e., 6 months or less to live, and still competent to decide to pull the plug voluntarily, and has the certifications from two doctors the person is sane, not depressed, and is making their own rational choice. The Oregon law already posed significant hurdles for someone terminally ill, as often people are not competent 6 months before death (especially Alzheimer’s patients), or are significantly depressed, so the category of people affected by the law was small anyway, in an already small state.

Earlier this year a federal judge held Ashcroft overstepped his bounds and ordered the feds to NOT prosecute anyone assisting a suicide under the Oregon law:

http://www.cnn.com/2002/LAW/04/17/oregon.a...sisted.suicide/ (http://www.cnn.com/2002/LAW/04/17/oregon.assisted.suicide/)

I totally agree assisted suicide should be allowed for the terminally ill....and I would expand the rule to include provision for future incompetence....so you're not stuck in living hell after a devastating stroke or Alzheimer’s disease robs you of your brain long before your body is ready to die.

For prisoners on death row, I firmly believe the choice of Cyanide with OJ should be offered as a standard breakfast choice...

Peaches
11-26-2002, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by LadyLaw@Nov 26 2002, 07:57 PM
For prisoners on death row, I firmly believe the choice of Cyanide with OJ should be offered as a standard breakfast choice...
Yeah, we just have to find a way to get OJ on death row - he keeps being found innocent though B)

(sorry, the smartass in me just couldn't ignore that :awinky: )

I've read many stories about people that have chosen suicide instead of several years of misery (and a drain on their family's emotions and finances). In every one the people they left behind said AFTERWARDS it was the best things to do - there were NO regrets. They would gather the family, say what they needed to say, make amends, share stories, travel if possible, etc. before it happened......I know I'd do the same thing and the government can just piss off :angry:

LadyLaw
11-26-2002, 07:05 PM
O Peaches.....hahahaha....PLEASE get OJ on death row....make my day! :)