PDA

View Full Version : Judge Orders Woman Starved To Death

Torone
11-23-2002, 10:36 AM
"CLEARWATER - The husband of a woman who's been in a coma-like state for 12 years can have her feeding tube removed and be allowed to die, a judge ruled Friday.
The ruling is a victory for Michael Schiavo over the parents of his wife, Terri, who have fought for years his attempts to remove the tube. The judge ruled that the tube would be removed Jan. 3 at 3 p.m. The parents say they will appeal.

Terri Schiavo, 38, has been hospitalized since 1990 when a heart attack temporarily cut off oxygen to her brain.

Michael Schiavo, who is his wife's guardian, had asked the court's permission to remove her feeding tube, which doctors say will kill her within two weeks. He says his wife is in a vegetative state and would not want to be kept on life support.

Her parents believe their daughter responds to them and would recover with treatment.

Bob and Mary Schindler say their daughter reacts to them with tears and smiles, moves her head and moans. They have doctors who believe she could be rehabilitated with new and aggressive therapy.

Circuit Judge George W. Greer, who first heard the case two years ago, issued the written decision Friday, more than a month after the conclusion of a six-day hearing.

Greer reheard medical testimony after an appellate court overturned his decision to remove the feeding tube last year.

Six doctors testified on Terri Schiavo's current medical condition.

Two physicians selected by the parents said Schiavo could recover with specialized therapy. A video shown in court showed Schiavo's eyes open and appearing to track movement with her eyes.

Two doctors selected by the husband said no treatment would ever help her.

Schiavo's attending physician for the past four years testified she is in a persistent vegetative state, and a court-appointed physician said Schiavo would never recover a meaningful life.

The tube was removed for more than two days last year on Greer's order, but another judge ordered it reconnected.

Terri collapsed at her St. Petersburg home Feb. 25, 1990, from what doctors believed was a potassium imbalance. Her heart stopped, temporarily cutting off oxygen to her brain. She is now in a hospice facility.

Schiavo says Terri once told him she would not want to be kept on life support.

Michael Schiavo, who recently had a baby girl with his longtime girlfriend, once lived with his in-laws, but now they accuse each other of wanting control of what remains of the $700,000 Terri received from a 1992 malpractice award. It was to pay for her lifelong treatment and care, but only about $140,000 is left after paying her husband's legal fees, according to court documents.

Schiavo separately received about $300,000 from the malpractice award."

I saw the video; and this woman IS NOT in a persistent vegetative state. She responds to her mother's presence by attempting to sit up and smiling. She is not on life support, unless a feeding tube is considered such. What kind of beings are this judge and her husband? They sure as hell ain't human! :steemed:

Winetalk.com
11-23-2002, 11:20 AM
My living will states very clearly:
if something like that happens,
I WANNA DIE,
instead of wasting all my money for the hospital.

...and to make sure my wishes are carried,
I designated Ron Levi as my guardian
;-)))

On the positive note:
Oprano provides this service free of charge and will put any member to sleep upon written request!

Dianna Vesta
11-23-2002, 11:26 AM
I think that if the parents want to take care of her, give her love and time, then let them take her.

I don't think they should let her starve. I need to know more about the case and if she does in fact feel anything. Hunger is a cruel way to die. The video told me that she's somewhat responsive.

My will also states that after reasonable time that I not be kept on life support. Reasonable time is two years. If I beame to disabled I beleive I would still find much living to do. I want to see my grand kids grow up and watch my son grow older.

DV

Torone
11-23-2002, 12:01 PM
"I think that if the parents want to take care of her, give her love and time, then let them take her."

That would have been my ruling; but apparently, they are no longer considered her next-of-kin for that purpose.

I gotta wonder why the husband is so set on killing her. Perhaps her condition is due to abuse? Maybe he stands to collect more money if she croaks? In any case, as I said, I SAW the video. She is NOT vegetative! And believe me, starvation is NOT a humane way to go! Remember, they are projecting 10 days to 2 weeks for her to die. It isn't like she was on life support; and turning off a switch causes almost instant death. They have actually do a procedure which will keep her from being fed; and allow her to STARVE to death.

Winetalk.com
11-23-2002, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Torone@Nov 23 2002, 12:09 PM
"I think that if the parents want to take care of her, give her love and time, then let them take her."

That would have been my ruling; but apparently, they are no longer considered her next-of-kin for that purpose.

I gotta wonder why the husband is so set on killing her. Perhaps her condition is due to abuse? Maybe he stands to collect more money if she croaks? In any case, as I said, I SAW the video. She is NOT vegetative! And believe me, starvation is NOT a humane way to go! Remember, they are projecting 10 days to 2 weeks for her to die. It isn't like she was on life support; and turning off a switch causes almost instant death. They have actually do a procedure which will keep her from being fed; and allow her to STARVE to death.
Torone,
is there ANYTHING in this life which is NOT black and white for you?

Cal
11-23-2002, 01:23 PM
$560,000 in legal fees just for the husband, wonder how much this saga cost taxpayers.

C.

HoneyBlond
11-24-2002, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Torone@Nov 24 2002, 04:09 AM

With life there is always hope..