PDA

View Full Version : Dsl Problem - Any Ideas?

Peaches
11-06-2002, 04:43 PM
I have DSL with the router on my computer and the kid's computer connected 2 stories down - hard wired (which is fun when you're dealing with a log cabin.....). He has no problem, but I can't connect. All lights are lit fine, all connections are OK, I've rebooted, I've done no changes to my settings.....why does his work and mine doesn't when they're on the same line? Any thoughts? :blink:

Hell Puppy
11-06-2002, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Peaches@Nov 6 2002, 04:51 PM
I have DSL with the router on my computer and the kid's computer connected 2 stories down - hard wired (which is fun when you're dealing with a log cabin.....). He has no problem, but I can't connect. All lights are lit fine, all connections are OK, I've rebooted, I've done no changes to my settings.....why does his work and mine doesn't when they're on the same line? Any thoughts? :blink:
Without really knowing anything about the hardware and layout, I'm shooting in the dark.

But to do some basic troubleshooting... Can you talk to the router from your machine? Trying pinging it. Can you see the other machine on the network?

If you can ping it successfully and see the other computer but cant reach the internet, then the problem is likely something with the router configuration.

If you cant ping it or see anything at all on the network, but another machine on the same network is working fine, then something is hosed with your network connection on your PC...

If you haven't changed anything in your settings, check the hardware. Are you getting a "link light" on both the router/hub and your network card? Try plugging into a different port on the hub/router. Unplug the other computer and plug your's into the port he was on and see if that works. If that fails, and especially if you're not getting a link light, you may have had a lightning surge zap your network card. Network cards do not get fried as frequently as modems, but it can happen.

Peaches
11-06-2002, 06:08 PM
Oh my.....

Trying pinging it. Can you see the other machine on the network?

I'm sure I should know how to ping it...this is what I get for having someone else install everything :(

If you haven't changed anything in your settings, check the hardware. Are you getting a "link light" on both the router/hub and your network card?

All the lights are on the router...I have an ethernet switch and it LOOKS like all the lights are OK on it, but to be honest, it's under the desk and Im not as "familiar" with it as I am the router. How would I find out about the network card?

Try plugging into a different port on the hub/router. Unplug the other computer and plug your's into the port he was on and see if that works.

I'm embarassed to admit that I'm not sure what I should be plugging and unplugging :huh:

If that fails, and especially if you're not getting a link light, you may have had a lightning surge zap your network card. Network cards do not get fried as frequently as modems, but it can happen.

We have had a lot of power surges at the house lately - 2-3 a day - unfortunately, this makes the most sense :(

I'm trying to reach my "computer guy" - something makes me think I'm going to be cooking dinner for him tomorrow night :(

I'll get the kid up here to plug and play. I used to know SO much about computers, but I've gotten lazy over the years with someone else to do it for me - time to start learning again!!

MANY, MANY THANKS!!! :wnw:

ulfie
11-06-2002, 06:25 PM
Sometimes you need to unplug everything and then plug it back in. Sometimes my cable modem gets tangled up in it's underwear and that's the only thing that gets it working. That' a very simple thing to try.

Edd
11-06-2002, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by ulfie@Nov 6 2002, 06:33 PM
Sometimes you need to unplug everything and then plug it back in. Sometimes my cable modem gets tangled up in it's underwear and that's the only thing that gets it working. That' a very simple thing to try.
Yeah, Ulfie - that was going to be my "generic" suggestion as well - just rebooting doesn't cut the mustard sometimes - best to turn it all OFF, physically disconnect it and uplug the power, and then reconnect and power it all back up! :blink:

Peaches
11-06-2002, 06:36 PM
Yeah, my desk is actually a workstation (the desk and credenza couldn't fit in the loft - so the kid gets the nice stuff in the basement!) and I have a bad habit of slouching in the chair and sticking my feet into the mass of wires that 2 complete computer systems can cause (when someone's a little prone to being messy.......). I don't have good lighting up here, but tomorrow I'll crawl down and start unplugging and plugging.

The kid's network card burned out a few months ago due to a power surge. Is there a way to protect them? For the last week power's either completely shut down for 20-30 seconds, or it's been like a brownout - dimming, but not a complete loss. I'm the only person on my "pole" and my neighbor hasn't been home to ask if he's having the same problem.

Where do I buy the wood burning powered computers? B)

Thanks for the help - I miss my DSL :boohoo:

Peaches
11-07-2002, 09:22 AM
Hmmm - should I be embarassed or happy?

I need a job as a computer repair person! I unplugged and plugged everything this morning, and now everything works, lol! B)

I am for hire: $500 an hour to unplug and replug your computer equipment (plus travel expenses).

Thanks everyone :rokk:

Rox
11-07-2002, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Peaches@Nov 7 2002, 06:30 AM
I am for hire: $500 an hour to unplug and replug your computer equipment (plus travel expenses).

:biglaugh: Ain't technology grand?

Whether it's a $1000 PC or $1.5 million worth of media equipment, many times the only answer is "turn it all off, then turn it back on." I have a friend who worked as a recording engineer on a dubbing stage, and she & I used to laugh our asses off when something would go down on the stage, and there'd be editors, mixers, producers and engineers all running around like mental cases trying to get things working, then end up scratching their heads in confusion; at which point my friend would calmly go over, cut the power on everything and wait 30 seconds, then fire it all back up and voila! Back to One. Ha!!!

I've done some troubleshooting-for-hire and always loved it when I could make $100 just for driving to someone's house and fixing their problem with a simple power-down/power-up! Although I usually feel a little guilty and end up spending a little extra time to optimize their drives and clean up their systems, since I'm there anyway. Service with a smile! :agrin: