11-01-2002, 10:20 AM
Good? I'm going today.

LadyLaw
11-01-2002, 10:25 AM
Colin, I'd love to hear your opinion.

Thanks!

Almighty Colin
11-01-2002, 10:29 AM
Cool -- I'll post one over the weekend. One problem. I like almost every movie I go to. I don't have a high screening process for movies. Pretty much everything makes me laugh that is supposed to. I sit in awe of CGI like I am a 5 year old seeing it for the first time.

I can't remember the last movie I saw that didn't like.

With books on the other hand - I only like about 1/3 of the books I purchase.

LadyLaw
11-01-2002, 10:37 AM
Since I used to live near Flint, Michigan, I really enjoyed Michael Moore's first documentary Roger and Me.

The last movie I genuinely disliked was Road to Perdition. There wasn't a single character in that movie that I cared about....it was dark....not a single laugh.

The last movie I LOVED (on the big screen) was My Big Fat Greek Wedding....what a great little movie to escape into.

My friends keep telling me I must see Sweet Home Alabama, since I am from Sweet Home, Oregon. :)

Almighty Colin
11-01-2002, 10:39 AM
I haven't seen "Roger and Me". If I like Columbine, I'll check it out.

Speaking of documentaries. Anyone else like Ken Burns' Baseball? I watched the entire damned set.

Almighty Colin
11-01-2002, 10:41 AM
Tom Hank's next movie is a Spielberg movie based on one of my favorties books "Catch me if you can".

Mike AI
11-01-2002, 10:55 AM
michael moore is an idiot, who tries to act as if he is above and more intelleigent then anyone conservative. his movies are nothing more then baseless propaganda - and if one goes in understanding it, that is fine. Problem is many people in this country have no clue.... it is ashame...

Almighty Colin
11-01-2002, 10:57 AM
Mike -

I like good propoganda. ;-)

Are his movies "nothing more then baseless propaganda"? I really don't know what to expect. Am I going to come out of the theater annoyed?

Edd
11-01-2002, 11:03 AM
Colin I addressed my dislike for Moore on the "old" board - my problem is his so-called "documentaries" really aren't... Some of his interactions are genuine, but most are staged. And REAL documentarians NEVER appear on camera. But Moore is a HAM who LOVES to see himself on film! :angry: Just don't be suprised if you aren't pleased with the outcome! ;)

Tonda_WEGCash
11-01-2002, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by LadyLaw@Nov 1 2002, 01:45 PM
Since I used to live near Flint, Michigan, I really enjoyed Michael Moore's first documentary Roger and Me.

The last movie I genuinely disliked was Road to Perdition. There wasn't a single character in that movie that I cared about....it was dark....not a single laugh.

The last movie I LOVED (on the big screen) was My Big Fat Greek Wedding....what a great little movie to escape into.

My friends keep telling me I must see Sweet Home Alabama, since I am from Sweet Home, Oregon. :)
LL -

I have beenwanting to see My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Is it really that good?

I have been wondering why it has stayed like in the top 5 at the box office for so long:)

Mike AI
11-01-2002, 11:36 AM
My Big Fat Greek Wedding is a CUTE movie, it was nice that it was done on such a small budget... but it is not that hilarious... people were raving about it, but it was not some movie which will go down as a classic.

I prefer Meet the Parents...

:)

Almighty Colin
11-01-2002, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Mike AI@Nov 1 2002, 02:44 PM
My Big Fat Greek Wedding is a CUTE movie, it was nice that it was done on such a small budget... but it is not that hilarious... people were raving about it, but it was not some movie which will go down as a classic.

I prefer Meet the Parents...

:)
EXACTLY :-)

Almighty Colin
11-01-2002, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Edd@Nov 1 2002, 02:11 PM
Colin I addressed my dislike for Moore on the "old" board - my problem is his so-called "documentaries" really aren't... Some of his interactions are genuine, but most are staged. And REAL documentarians NEVER appear on camera. But Moore is a HAM who LOVES to see himself on film! :angry: Just don't be suprised if you aren't pleased with the outcome! ;)
Edd - now this has been too built up and I HAVE to see it.

LadyLaw
11-01-2002, 11:51 AM
Hello Tonda!

I genuinely liked My Big Fat Greek Wedding as a really nice movie that transports you out of your own head for a couple of hours...

Mike and I obviously have different tastes, as I liked My Big Fat Greek Wedding more than I liked Meet the Parents.

Let me know what you think....I look forward to seeing you and your big movie star significant other in January!
:rolleyes:

Mike AI
11-01-2002, 12:26 PM
Mike and I obviously have different tastes, as I liked My Big Fat Greek Wedding more than I liked Meet the Parents.

Must only be in movies, since we both LOVE Serge!!

:inlove:

KBpimps
11-01-2002, 12:27 PM
Bowling for columbine is awesome....Very powerful movie, but I recommend Punch Drunk Love With Adam Sandler it's quirky and dark!

ulfie
11-01-2002, 12:34 PM
I don't like Moore because he only tells the side of the story he wants seen but calls his films documentaries. A true documentary doesn't begin with an agenda.....

MissEve
11-01-2002, 12:38 PM
Bowling for Columbine is awesome! I totally agree that Michael Moore can be really annoying and one sided but he did a great job on this. Its very thought provoking, definitely worth seeing :)

Almighty Colin
11-01-2002, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by ulfie@Nov 1 2002, 03:42 PM
I don't like Moore because he only tells the side of the story he wants seen but calls his films documentaries. A true documentary doesn't begin with an agenda.....
I never heard that rule before. I don't care if something is unbalanced or has an agenda. I only care what *I* get out of it and I feel confident I'll track down the other side of the story. What someone else gets out of it is their own responsibility.

I'll take Miss Eve's word for it since she owns a gun - and then switch to my own opinion as conditions warrant.

Peaches
11-01-2002, 12:51 PM
I've always enjoyed MM because he's a smart ass and doesn't pretend he's not. He knows it's HIS slant on the movies :P

LOVED My Big Fat Greek Wedding!

MissEve
11-01-2002, 12:52 PM
LOL! Since when do I own a gun??? ;)

Almighty Colin
11-01-2002, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by MissEve@Nov 1 2002, 04:00 PM
LOL! Since when do I own a gun??? ;)
Sorry - I meant "gun"

Sword
11-01-2002, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Colin@Nov 1 2002, 01:37 PM
Cool -- I'll post one over the weekend. One problem. I like almost every movie I go to. I don't have a high screening process for movies. Pretty much everything makes me laugh that is supposed to. I sit in awe of CGI like I am a 5 year old seeing it for the first time.

I can't remember the last movie I saw that didn't like.

With books on the other hand - I only like about 1/3 of the books I purchase.
Colin, I'm generally the same way. I usually enjoy most any movie I watch for one reason or another. The exception to that would have to be Gosford Park. I hated every miserable moment of it.

If you happen to watch it, let me know what you think. I'll be impressed if you can find a way to enjoy that movie!

;)

Almighty Colin
11-02-2002, 04:34 AM
Ok - I loved this flick. What next?

I was laughing so hard at the cartoon in the middle I had tears in my eyes.

I think one of the reasons I always like the movies I go to is that I choose them carefully.
Gosford Park sounds like a "must avoid" flick. Now that I think about it - I'm less choosy with video tapes and do occasionally rent a dud. The movies that i rent I didn't see in the theaters and are therefore leftovers.

Almighty Colin
11-02-2002, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by Peaches@Nov 1 2002, 12:59 PM
I've always enjoyed MM because he's a smart ass and doesn't pretend he's not. He knows it's HIS slant on the movies :P

Peaches,

That's why I think now too.

Almighty Colin
11-02-2002, 04:38 AM
Originally posted by LadyLaw@Nov 1 2002, 11:59 AM

Let me know what you think....I look forward to seeing you and your big movie star significant other in January!
Movie star?

Tonda_WEGCash
11-02-2002, 07:58 PM
LL -

We are excited to see you two as well.

Be on the look out as my significant other has some still work coming out around Jan.

Colin -

You do not know my better half?

Last edited by Tonda_WEGCash at Nov 2 2002, 08:07 PM

Almighty Colin
11-03-2002, 05:34 AM
No, I don't. Fess up. :)