PDA

View Full Version : New Board Format

Timon
10-31-2002, 12:43 AM
Damn this will take some getting used to...

Nice feature is that you can now see hits to your post which, being a marketing man, I do like...

Just a bit concerned that this place is going to be flooded with 15 yr old morons starting dumb threads like "what is your favorite sexual activity" like on all the other threaded boards.

cj
10-31-2002, 01:37 AM
and how do you stop by to say 'good morning' when you dont' know which thread to put it in!!

i'm struggling with this
oprano was the last refuge of simplicity and communication ;-(

Timon
10-31-2002, 01:43 AM
I guess you could start a new "good morning" thread each morning ;-)

Mutt
10-31-2002, 03:43 AM
yeah that part of the old board will be missed most. that is was like a small coffee shop or bar you walked into at the beginning or end of the day and you felt like you were saying hello to everybody and they could see you and say hello back. 'Cheers' the messageboard. Not all of that will be lost.

The plus of this board is that more people will post, i really think a non-threaded board has a real limitation in that there are only so many people who can feel welcome at a board like that. The regulars not on purpose but just by being such regulars take over the board and then people who might only be the type to post once in awhile feel shy to post.
So in a way cutting down on the intimacy of the board helps make it feel more accessible to more people.

But i think for the people like me and you cj and the rest of the hardcore regulars since Day 1 there is definitely a loss.
Also the sense of having center stage is gone. Everybody got their chance to stand up and have their moment on the soapbox.

There are pro's and con's, like in most every decision we make in life.
Biz wise i think this was the right move.

Timon
10-31-2002, 04:44 AM
Good point mutt, a pro is that more people will be tempted to post here, a con of more people posting here is that quality usually goes down with quantity.

It makes business sense to attract more visitors because there will be more banner exposures but the risk is that the depth of any discussion may soon be limited to how faggy Drew looks with his new moustache and if we prefer blueberry over chocolate muffins.

I admit that my posts are usually just a heap of mindless babble even below GFY standards so I'm not overly concerned myself ;-))

cj
10-31-2002, 05:37 AM
mutt, you covered my thoughts ENTIRELY!!

the future is upon us and we must move on

fare thee well flat board
you will always hold a special place in our hearts

Winetalk.com
10-31-2002, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by -cj-@Oct 31 2002, 05:37 AM
mutt, you covered my thoughts ENTIRELY!!

the future is upon us and we must move on

fare thee well flat board
you will always hold a special place in our hearts
cj,
might not be so...
I voted to have an old one as an option stuck to the top of the thread

I hope others will feel the same way